Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troubled Tomatoes

Posted by annieSoCal 9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 2:02

My first message here! Carolyn, are you Carolyn Male, who autographed my copy of "100 Heirloom Tomatoes" at Hortus in Pasadena, CA a few years ago?

My tomato plants, and my friend Jane's who lives about 10 miles from me (close to downtown L.A.), look just like Zolablue's. Lower leaves crispy and dead and plants looking spindly, tops of plants green and healthy. We planted both heirlooms and not-heirlooms; they all look stressed. I've been growing tomatoes for 15 years and have never had such a bad looking bunch. Every year I rotate crops, and my cultural practices haven't varied much. Every year I amend the soil with organic matter, and I water and fertilize correctly. Is this a terrorist plot, to starve us all out by denying us our tomatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troubled Tomatoes

My first message here! Carolyn, are you Carolyn Male, who autographed my copy of "100 Heirloom Tomatoes" at Hortus in Pasadena, CA a few years ago?

Yes I am.

I had two lovely days sitting under that tent they put up for me and dispensing info on tomatoes and signing books and drinking the superb ice cold tomato juice they had out there for everyone, and then on Sunday Gary's brother drove me to their Orange location where it was COLD and rainy the whole time.

I was so surprised when Gary had to close down Hortus but he has a good poition with Armstong Nurseries and still is directly involved with the newer form of Tomatomania, and we are in touch from time to time.

And yes, it's a plot against you that your toamtoes are going south, as in bad news. LOL I can't begin to tell you the folks I meet online, who grow in the same area you do, at different places where I post who are having the same problems outlined here, and often very hard to diagnose.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here