Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato(/potato) Psyllid

Posted by janetta 9bsunset16CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 2:10

I finally figured out what these little flat things that seem to leave behind something that looks like sugar on the leaves, are.
Potato/Tomato Psyllid.
I've had them for the past 3 seasons. They don't seem to do a whole lot of harm and from what I've read they won't do much harm if the plant is pretty well established.
Does anyone out there in GardenWeb land have any experience with these little scaley fellows? Any suggestions on how to rid my plants of them. I am not a big chemical sort of person as my yard has bees (hooraaay) and of course....my dog and cats.
Thanks for any advice
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato(/potato) Psyllid

I've dealt with scale on some ornamentals before, but not psyllids. They are somewhat related, I believe. I used neem oil at the time.

See link to an article on this below. Suggest you read entire article.

Salient points:
"Many gardeners prefer to use organic products. Ultra fine oil (Safer Sun Spray and similar products) provide relatively good control of the psyllid in greenhouse studies, according to Trumble, but insecticidal soap is not as effective. Sprays containing an extract of neem oil (Greenlight Neem Concentrate) help control a variety of garden pests and may also work on tomato psyllid."

here's another important point:
"Broad sprectrum insecticides such as malathion will kill tomato psyllids, but frequent use also harms beneficial insects and this may allow other pests like spider mites and leaf miners to build up. The insecticide carbaryl (Sevin) should not be used to control psyllids because it can cause the pest population to increase."

Here is a link that might be useful: psyllid treatment and prevention

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here