Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with tomatos!!

Posted by the_garden_rookie 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 3:07

Hello everyone, new gardener here, this is my first year and I think I need more help than I thought. I have planted Super Sweet 100's and Goliath Hybrid tomatos. My sweet 100 plant is only about 3' tall, its been in the ground since March from a 4" pot. the leafs are yellow and spotty, I am getting nice red tomatoes about an inch in size, but what to do about the color and spotting, my Hybrid tomato plant is the same size planted the same time also from a 4" pot, the tomatoes are not as big as indicated by the label maybe half the size, and only have about 8 of them, and yes, the same spotty yellow leafs on this plant as well. both plants are in a raised 4' x 4' bed. I am watering every other day, and I can't water in the morning so I water at night, only available time. What to do about the yellow leafs and the spots on the leafs? how to get bigger fruit and taller plant? thanks for all your help everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with tomatos!!

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 12:05

Across much of the nation many gardeners have been experiencing slower growth and later ripening because of weather, a lot of us had a colder, wetter spring than normal followed almost immediately by very hot weather.

Yellowed leaves can be from a number of problems such as nutrient deficiencies, over watering, disease, lack of sunlight, or just plain old aging.

To be able to suggest what might be wrong with your plants, it would be helpful to know more about the environment it is in. So, here are the "usual" questions:

Have you checked the moisture of the growing medium or soil 3-5" below the surface? Is it dry, just right, or soggy? Have you had a soil test? Are you feeding the plants? How often? What are the NPK values of any fertilizers you are using to feed them? What has the weather been like in your area?

Have you used any amendments? Do you mulch? If so, with what and how much (how deep)? Are there any other plants near the problem plants, if so, do the neighboring plants have problems?

Can you post pictures?

The more information you can give us, the better the chances that someone can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here