Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Spots Inside Tomato

Posted by nc_2010 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 5:08

This is my first time growing tomatoes. I have picked several tomatoes that have a circle of white spots inside the tomato. I have included a picture, if you look around the sides you can see the tiny white spots. I am wondering what would cause this? The tomato looks fine on the outside before being sliced. Is it normal, or is it a disease? I am afraid to eat them or give them to anyone else. Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Spots Inside Tomato

Oh, don't worry about eating them, they won't hurt anyone. (I'd hate to think of such luscious tomatoes going to waste!)

Hard white areas can form in tomatoes as a result of environmental factors, but it's hard to say exactly what does it. Variety plays a role; so does plant stress from water or heat, or individual plant variation in non-hybrids. It often clears up as the season progresses, though some plants will keep doing it to one degree or another. If the white spots bother you, cut them out, but I don't. It's not connected to any disease in particular.

Severe stresses cause what's known as "grey wall", where half the fruit becomes hard and whitish, but these fruits look fine and juicy. Enjoy, by all means!

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here