Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spots on fruit

Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 8:01

I'm wondering if this spotted fruit is diseased or safe to eat or cold-compost, and if it's ok to just cut off the spotted part and eat the rest.
I'm wondering if the fruit spots are related to the yellow and brown foliage which has affected much of this plant (on high as well as low parts). This plant (also shown in photo below) was started from a sucker from one of my potted plants. The potted one had uniform red colored fruit, unlike this one, and did not have foliage disease at the time the sucker was pruned. Due to my carelessness, some of the stems of this diseased plant cracked and bent over from the weight of the tomatoes, and leaves were touching the soil. No tomatoes were planted in this spot for at least 30 years. However, the yard is very windy.
This hybrid from our university is resistant to the common root knot nematode, fusarium wilt, gray leaf spot, one strain of spotted wilt virus, and tobacco mosaic virus.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spots on fruit

If we're talking just about the fruit spots your second picture is a dead ringer for what's called Cloudy Spot which is due to stinkbug bites.

IN the link below click on the right hand picture to enlarge and look at the left hand fruit.

YOu can Google stinkbug tomato via Google if you want to know more about it.

Just a cosmetic problem but the tissue under the yellow areas will be white and hard.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloudy Spot ( stinkbug damage)

o
RE: spots on fruit

• Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 17:45

Carolyn,
Thank you very much for your quick reply and Cloudy Spot info!
I have seen green stinkbug here.
I'm relieved to find out it's just cosmetic, and can eat it for lunch today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here