Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindysunshine_gw

Preventive Treatment for Early Blight - Current Thinking

cindysunshine
13 years ago

I have spent an hour searching on this subject and read quite a bit - but would be interested in a quick summary or perhaps others can direct me to good summary links.

We live in central Illinois and have had a large vegetable garden for 15 or so years - while I try to rotate, a big chunk of the garden gets tomatoes every year and it is so much easier to keep them closer to the water source they admitted grow generally in the same area.

We are plagued with early blight and sometimes the bacterial speck/spot type afflictions but mostly EB. We have had the concrete reinforcing wire cages for a long time - we leave them out stacked in a corner of the garden thru the winter but I have not sprayed them with bleach.

The other thing we've done is use some heavy matting material to make paths - I roll those up and leave them for the winter and then use them the following year and I'm sure those, too should be disposed of for good.

I do remove and burn as much of the foliage as we can in the fall, but there is a lot of tomatoes and it's a big garden.

We use daconil but even with spraying frequently the plants get EB and it's a frustrating experience.

It took us so long to get to good soil in that area - I'm sure it would be effective to dig up a new garden someplace but that would be so difficult and of course we like the garden where it is.

I've been reading about using bleach solutions sprayed on or possibly drenched in the soil. I also was reading about some 'organic' drenches to apply (I'll put the link to one below).

Help in directing me to good summary posts would be appreciated as I know this topic gets discussed and rediscussed so often. Thanks everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Fungus Control - OxiDate

Comments (2)