Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandie528

Was this deer or something else?

bandie528
10 years ago

It's my first time gardening, in containers at an apartment.

The beginning of the season, I lost the tops of two tomatoes (beef type staking and Roma), some okra, a squash, and the top of a pepper overnight. Assumed deer. Did research, and moved all plants.

Last week, something came onto the back patio area and ate half of my squash, and the top off the okra, again. Okra container was knocked over. :(

They're both coming back nicely.

This morning, got up, and discovered two tomatoes knocked over, the okra knocked over (from its new location), and tomatoes eaten off of several plants (notably from directly opposite sides of the golden Milano). Ten tomatoes were eaten off of my purple heirloom. I am pissed.

This is where I had my plants. On this wall, facing the fence, thinking that the cramped space would keep the deer out. Seemed to until now, unless it wasn't deer.

More pictures to follow.

Comments (5)

• bandie528
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From the back, the second tomato in was knocked into the patio, the okra too, but the third tomato in was knocked onto the walkway.

There is a short fencepiece blocking the back entrance to the patio, and I hoped it would trip a deer. A chair trying to block the other.

My mint and herbs had been fairly guarding, I thought.

• bandie528
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one was knocked on the ground, so is that damage from the patio ground, or the bite of something?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Dear graze but rarely knock things over if they are off the ground.

There is a good chance that something else ate and tipped it.

I have a rooftop garden and I have to be careful not to grow anything raccoons will eat as they will damage the roof. I grow tomatoes watermelon, basil, beets, broccoli, collard greens, kale, strawberries, ground cherries, spinach, beets, sweet potatoes, blueberries, figs (hardy chicago), turnips, radishes, carrots, snap peas, wild amaranth, (trap plant for cucumber beetles). most of these plants will do real well in containers and will be left alone by smaller animals.

As for deer, try using a hanging basket pot for your tomatoes, backed up by a havahart trap for the smaller animals. This will take care of most animals

If you have a raccoon problem you can plant a garbage can with corn and set out a havahart trap with an apple for bait. I caught 21 raccoons in 3 weeks. One every night. I harvested 3 lbs of corn and 107 LB of raccoon.

deer proof rooftop garden pics click below

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321?banner=pwa&authkey=CI763rvAj8eLAg

• bandie528
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Someday I will be able to do some hardcore protection!

But: for now, renting an apartment in a house. Limited greatly.

There is a groundhog in the backyard, who has become the prime suspect. Nothing has happened since that day.

There's also a couple of stray cats, but that seems unlikely. Tomatoes were picked off the stems, and in many cases the leaf parts were left behind, looking like dexterity was required.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Homo Sapien