Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
herbacide drift

Posted by csricci 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 9:06

Hey all,

We have recently suffered herbacide drift on some of our tomato plants - The Romas and the beefsteaks have hardly any damage if at all, but our supersonics have a fair amount on the tops of the plants (so do our pepper plants). My question is this - how will this effect the fruit?

We do not use any fertilizers or chemicals in our garden - we use organic soil/manure and beneficial insects etc. Although I know we can't avoid every environmental toxin like the stuff that may already be in the soil, we do our best. So now will our tomatoes have traces of the herbacide in the fruit or is it just the leaves that are effected? Fortunately we have had a lot of heavy rain so hopefully whatever got on the leaves has been washed off.

I've read up on the web about round-up and how it's not considered very toxic, binds to the soil etc., but I can't seem to find the answer to my particular question. Thanks for any info you have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: herbacide drift

One page I found states that glyphosate residues are stable in plant tissue for approximately one year, but I'm unable to find any other references to that number. I'm also finding several pages that list the pre-harvest interval as 32 days for Roundup.

I sincerely doubt that you'll be able to harvest any fruit within a month of a significant brush with Roundup -- the plants usually take some time to recover. The residue will be in the fruit, though, and may be there until the end of the year.

On the one hand, I haven't been able to find any information on the toxicity of glyphosate residue in produce when eaten by humans... on the other hand, the odds are that you already have such residue in conventionally-grown produce, many things made with grains or soybeans, and even in beer. I suppose that any trace amount you may pick up from your own plants, by the time they've outgrown the damage enough to produce, could probably be compared to that you'd get from any other store-bought conventional food.

There isn't much information out there, sadly -- the tests are expensive, and very few groups have the money and interest to fund studies. Even those of us who are careful still get exposed to chemicals we don't want, where we don't even know how harmful they may be. All you can do is find what information there is and use your best judgement.

--Alison
who is far too familiar with the situation of running into unwanted chemicals, despite careful living.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here