Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in tomato - see photo

Posted by livegreen 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 9:13

My tomato plants are all Better Boys that I grew from seed. The plants are watered by a sprinkler on a timer every morning at 6:30 unless rain is expected or fell the night b4. I've included one photo of the vines with the morning sun on them and one photo of a stricken tomato.

I understand about the cracking, green shoulders and cat facing (not shown in photos) but I have questions about the pest damage:

1. Can I cut off the top where the tomato was bitten and eat the rest?
2. What nasty thing is tunneling into my tomatoes?
3. Another tomato (no photo) showed a similar kind of invasion except that the damage looked more like an open tunnel - same location. Is that the same pest?
4. What can I do about it?

Thanks, All for your time and help.

Image link: Holes in tomato - see photo (18 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in tomato - see photo

Both of those may be tomato fruitworm (aka corn earworm). It likes to tunnel in under the stem and eat around the top, leaving nasty excrement behind it. I've seen a bit of it myself this year.

Go ahead and cut off the top to eat the rest, so long as the fruit hasn't rotted too much from the wounds. The damage is all mechanical, and it certainly won't poison you to eat the rest of the tomato.

The most effective treatment for fruitworm is Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), which is an organic and harmless insecticide that works against caterpillars. It's available at any nursery or garden department. I've heard good things from people who have used it.

Hope that helps!

--Alison

o
RE: Holes in tomato - see photo

Thanks so much, Alison. I'm going right out now to get some!

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here