Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danb99

Tomato Leave Curl

danb99
11 years ago

Hi I'm in Northen New Jersey. I have been gardening for many years.This year in May I planted 18 tomato plants, Beefmaster/Supersonic/Roma/Cherry 100's.

All plants were doing fine, now I see the past weeks curly leaves on the top of all the plants, bottoms look fine,fruit set and blossoms.

They were some of the best looking plants IO've sen in awhile. Now this problem came up. Amy idea's what is going on with them?

Thanks Dan

Comments (7)

• danb99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is pic

• danb99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Herbicide damage. 2,4-D or contaminated organic matter (OM) such manure, home or local farm composted or commercially bagged, which was added to the soil.

If contaminated OM a possible source, read this:
    http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/aminopyralid/

Basically same info if contaminated by clopyralid.
    Read this http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/clopyralid.htm

both links include bio-assay you can do to verify contamination,or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: aminopyralid contamination

• danb99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Very interesting read.
    Question: Why did it take sooooo long to show up?
    My Marigolds in same garden look great?
    Any thing I CAN do remedy this probelm this year?

Thanks Dan

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Re-read the docs. They tell you what you can do.
    They also tell you what's susceptible and what's not. Marigolds aren't susceptible.

• danb99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All Good news the problem with my tomato pants and thier curling leaves,was cause by the extreme hot weather, here in Northen New Jersey.
    Now thats it's cool off some and raining good, the plants, look much better .

Thanks Dan

• fmcandrew
    11 years ago

Need help, I live in a region with hot, dry summers. My veggie garden (fenced about 16'x 24') and has been affected by what I think is either verticillium wilt or fusarium wilt by the look of the symptoms displayed (yellow leaves, started from the bottom, crispy & curled too). I had the problem last year also but rotated the plantings this time (although not far away since the spaced is defined) hoping to avoid the problem. I bought grafted tomato & eggplant plants this year too but to no avail. It has damaged my tomato, eggplant, butternut plants (so far the butternut is ok, I've been removing the yellowing leaves but doesn't seem as productive as was prior years). The tomatoes have produced many fruits but the taste & consistency is not good. I made sauce from the tomatoes instead, cooking them down substantially so I hope the taste will be alright, seemed a shame to throw them away not to mention the cost. The eggplant was fine at first and produced good fruit but the last batch was full of seeds so I tossed them. I grow strawberries & asparagus in the same space which did very well this season. My question is what do I have to do to get rid of the problem, I read I will have to cover the area with plastic film to attract heat that kills the fungus bacteria and let it sit for 2 - 3 years to rid the soil of the problem. Is there a better solution?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals