ssj4_gw

black spot or something else - PICS

ssj4
18 years ago

my older tomatoes are really looking sickly -

{{gwi:1299182}}

{{gwi:1299184}}

{{gwi:1299186}}

The first two are from a Black Prince, the last one from a San Marzano Redorta.

Is this a disease, or just stress (at least stress on the plant, it's stressing me out)

Thanks again for the consideration.

J.

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Its' really hard to see things in persepctive with those real closeup shots, although they are in your face. LOL

A few questions first.

Is the purple that I see for real or a photo result alone. There are very few conditions where one might see purple on leaves this time of year and not common in MD as far as I know.

Second, I seem to see evidence of a huge fungal leaf spot with the center out, but it's soooo close up I can't tell.

So, are there spots on the leaves and if so please describe size and shape and color and whether you see any yellow halos around them and whether you see any concentric circles within the lesions.

Are all your plants affected?

Any wilting when there shouldn't be or change in color foliage?

Carolyn

• ssj4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL- I thought bigger might help one identify better, guess I was wrong. This is about true to life, although the spots may be a little closer to black than purple (buth they are purplelish black - if that makes sense). There are also spots on the vine itself that are the same purpish black.

the spots are oval shaped with irregular borders, and eventually the spot will 'die' leaving the empty space you mentioned.

I will reduce the size and look for the signs you suggested.

all of the older plants look like they are wilting, leaves becoming more curled the older they get. The new growth
    (side shoots, etc) on these plants looks healthy though

I planted some fairly recently (june) and they are looking healthy as can be.

Thanks,

Jason

• ssj4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn,

I read one of your responses in another post and saw your link to the tomato problem solver, my leaves look like the pics describing Alternaria Canker.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I read one of your responses in another post and saw your link to the tomato problem solver, my leaves look like the pics describing Alternaria Canker.

problem there b'c Alternaria Stem Canker is found almost exclusively in California.

Jason, could you possibly take a few more pictures at a lower magnification?

You're describing both wilting and possible foliage diseases at the same time and wilting is not a trait of foliage diseases. Of course you may have both, but this has to be addressed one by one.

Nor did you describe stem lesions before,which are found in diseases other than Alternaria Stem Canker.

Do you have prominent stem lesions?

Carolyn

• farkee
    18 years ago

Are there black specks visible within the lesions? (fruiting bodies)

Could it be septoria? Did it start on the lower leaves?

(PS I like the high magnification but along with those one further back would be helpful.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Septoria

• ssj4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Will take lower mag pics tommorow (thursday)

A lesion from what I understand it (in non tomato terms) is just abnormal tissue, which is of course what I think I see.

The pics of the Alternaria Stem Canker are damn near what I see (in my opinion), but I'm no expert on tomato diseases.

Again, great thanks for your help in this matter.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm