Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrianag_gw

Deterring chinch bugs

adrianag
18 years ago

What is the best way to kill the chinch bugs that are feeding on my tomatoes and deter them from coming back in the future? I would prefer organic or least toxic methods.

Comments (5)

• farkee
    18 years ago

Adriana, I have never heard of chinch bugs on tomatoes. And here in Florida we seem to have every problem in the book and we have LOTS of chinch bugs but not on tomatoes. What makes you think they are chinch bugs? Farkee

• adrianag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Farkee,

They are actually longer and pointier than regular chinch bugs. I'm seeing some damage that looks like piercving damage. Somebody posted a picture of a mottled tomato and Dr. C mentioned that the mottling is caused by chinch bugs...

If I decide to brave our 100 degree weather today I might try to take a photograph so that I can get a definitve ID.

I've seen several sources which recommend Sabadilla powder for chinch bugs...now I need to find a supplier.

• farkee
    18 years ago

Do you mean stinkbugs??? See the thread called THIS CAN'T BE GOOD PICS. Chinch bugs are a turf pest.

Stinkbugs are my sworn enemy and love tomatoes and sneaking around.

• adrianag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You are absolutely correct Farkee, they are stinkbugs. I assumed they were the same thing.

(The photo links on the other post were great. And here I am with a stinkbug in a baggie in my freezer, waiting to be photographed for an upload...)

Now, what do I do about these nasty stinkbugs????

• farkee
    18 years ago

They are really hard to control as adults. I hand catch if possible--I have learned I can't just pick them off--the points on their shoulders stick you and you fling them away. I use a throwaway cup and sort of put it over them and guide my hand to cover the top. I have also used a plastic baggie--cover them and shake them into it. You have to learn to scout and scout and catch entire groups of their nymphs having a meeting (they congregate in groups) and put the baggie over all of them and shake them into it.

I used to squish them right in the garden , thinking that their smelly odor would deter other stinkbugs, until I read they are ATTRACTED to that smell.

I have also used a pyrethrum spray directly on them when I see them but know I can't get to them to catch them.
    I believe sapadillla may work as well.

Here is a link that gives chemical controls but it also mentions that insecticidal soap will kill the nymphs with direct contact. (Even those who use broad spectrum insecticides would find adult stinkbugs hard to kill.)
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300211.html

One thing for sure, they multiply on declining and dying plants very rapidly so remove them as soon as possible.
    There are brown ones and green ones and even a good kind, a predatory stinkbug that preys on insects

Here is a link that might be useful: Predatory stinkbug