Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yarrowme

Yikes - Hornworms

yarrowme
15 years ago

I apologize in advance because I am learning that this is probably a very redundant topic here. I did a search and read through the previous threads but I'd still like further advice. Background, I am new to growing tomatoes (and gardening, in general). This is my second year growing container tomato plants. Last year was very successful. Not so this year. I am very disappointed.

While performing my daily routine tomato plant inventory last night I discovered that a curled leaf was not that....it was a hornworm. I had to come in and look it up on the internet to identify it but that is definetly what it was. I went back out and look closer and found 4 more. Three were at least three inches long and one was 1/2 that size. I don't think I have ever been so grossed out. Sorry, to offend those who like insects but I scraped them off the branches and killed them. I grabbed the first thing I could think of which was Garden Safe Vegetable and Tomato Spray. The label lists tomato hornworms as something it controls.

Okay, now for my questions. Can my tomato plants be saved? Will the spray I used control them or do I need to get something else? I also have Sevin. Will that work more effectively? Will my tomatoes be safe to eat? I tried not to spray the actual fruit but I know there was overspray. I should also mention that my tomatoes are mostly small still and all green. Should I prune off the top say 1/3 of my plants? Will that help? I didn't prune any branches off last night. Is my soil contaminated? I definitely will not use it again next year but if it is infected and I am fighting a losing battle for this year, I'd rather just cut my losses now.

Are there any effective means to prevent the occurance of hornworms in further growing? Do certain growing conditions (over crowding, type of soil, type of plants, etc.) contribute to the problem?

Sorry for so many questions.....and for being such a newbie at this. Many of you are probably so used to garden pests such as these and just take it in stride but I am definitely not there yet. I am grossed out and paranoid. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (2)