Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

Schoolbus yellow/orange leaves

korney19
18 years ago

I have 1 plant in a container among many others that is a weird color, like yellow to orange foliage. I didn't notice it until a couple days ago. I saw a couple small spots that looked like early blight on a couple bottom leaves but this plant exhibits the yellowing all the way to the top, more like a gold color, not your typical yellowing. Some of the leaf tips are green, as if the gold is systemic, working its way outward from the center. New growth appears to be the same gold color. There's still some green on the plant but mostly the lower main stem. There is no wilting of any kind. One or two terminal leaves on a couple branches are more orange in color.

Any ideas? I'll try to get a pic when I can.

Mark

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Any ideas? I'll try to get a pic when I can.

Not off hand Mark, not your typical foliage.

What is the variety and whaqt was the seed source and what do you know about it?

Carolyn, thinking mutations, thinking Reinhard and the funny color his variegated plant that doesn't come true from seed turned right before it died.

• korney19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's Ten Fingers of Naples, from a trade. I have another plant in "Mater Mountain" that's still green. I checked a little while ago and there were some brown lesions on some of the branches but not sure if disease or if from rubs on the caging. one of the upper leaves that's gold has a dried tannish brown paper-like spot or two that may poke through. I'll check again the next time outside.

• korney19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, here's pics. The plant was planted 6/9.

{{gwi:1299319}}

Here's 3 larger pics from different angles:

{{gwi:1299316}}

{{gwi:1299317}}

{{gwi:1299318}}

The last pic shows the lesions on the branch. Disregard the nice green leaves, most are from nearby plants.

• MrsJustice
    18 years ago

Maybe someone can help save this plant, because my leafs look the same way, but it happen over night. I am very concern that I used to much soapy water.

what would cause mutations, and Reinhard Mrs Carolyn?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Mark,

I'll be back. Have been off line since last night b/c computer did funny. Just talked to my computer man; problem was that windows XP wasn't loading all the way, turns out to be a not uncommon problem. Fixed it ALL by myself, with Wayne on the phone. LOL

I need time to look at your other pictures.

I asked about mutants b'c I thought it might be one of those USDA specials, LOL, but knowing it's Dix Doight de Naples changes that .

Carolyn, wayyyy behind on posts here and elsewhere.

• korney19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The lesions in pic 4 look more like the ones for LB than EB on the TAMU site. I've since lost lots of leaves and branches. I sprayed quite regularly with Daconil and the plant is greener but thinner from defoliation. The branches would just drop off from touching them.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

The lesions in pic 4 look more like the ones for LB than EB

Not to my eye they don't based on the pictures in my Seminis Tomato Pathology book.

Mark, I aplogize, I totally forgot to come back and look at the pictures.

And considering the time span here, if your plants had LB they'd long be dead and a stinking mass of black tissue.

But that's the first time I'm seeing lesions like that on the stems. Anything on fruits or at the soil line?

Do you see lesions appear on a green background first, b'c I do see some lesions on the yellow leaves.

Is this one plant or many or all the plants in your garden area at home?

C

• korney19
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No black stinking mess here. They are still alive. Nothing on the soil line or fruits. The lesions look like the ones between leaves on the branches in the pic linked below. There were some crispy dead branches/leaves too. But no white mold or slime, though I didn't touch the lesions.

The plant next to it has some of the lesions and some droop, not excessive wilting though. Just some of the branches that have lesions are a little droopy but new growth at the top looks OK, though the plant is a little thin. The plant east of the Dix Doigts has no problems, even though pretty much downwind and really close.

I think maybe 1 other plant has similar characteristics, Galina's, but it's in a different area of the garden. It's a little sparse too, it had those leaves that were almost all dark yellow but many fell off or were removed. I'm spraying around every 5-7 days.

The only thing in common with all 3 is they are all in containers, though 33 others in containers don't have the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU tomato problem solver

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!