Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I save the seeds of a tomato that had blight /bacterial speck

Posted by tomatoesaretops 5A (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 10:47

Hi-

I've had some trouble with my tomatoes this year with bacterial speck and blight. I've never saved seeds before and I'm wondering if I should bother with those that had problems - I certainly don't want to deal with them again. do the problems of one season get built into the seeds for the next season?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I save the seeds of a tomato that had blight /bacterial s

You can save seed from your plants. If conditions are right, those diseases can show up regardless, so there is no reason to get new seed (that might also be carrying disease) from somewhere else next year.

If you ferment the seeds for a few days before rinsing and drying them, that will greatly reduce the amount of disease that might be carried over on them. It will also get rid of the gel that surrounds the seeds, which contains a substance that inhibits germination.

o
RE: can I save the seeds of a tomato that had blight /bacterial s

I have never tried this, but you can try soaking them for an hour in 91% isopropyl alcohol (available at most drug stores). Dry thoroughly before packing or planting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here