Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newindc

tomato not drinking--collapse last week

newindc
17 years ago

Hello,

This is a follow-up to my message posted last week. I have a better bush tomato growing in a container (probably 6 gallon or larger size). Last Wednesday I came home to find the plant had collapsed during the day, it couldn't support itself and had fallen onto the deck railing. I thought it needed more water so I watered with a little fish emulsion. Then I thought maybe the problem was that I had overwatered because there was water in the saucer in the bottom. I didn't water on Saturday and then watered last night using a gallon milk jug with a hole in the bottom for slow watering. The water seemed to go right through and was sitting in the bottom of the saucer. Why isn't the plant absorbing water, particularly in this heat?

Other info...I sprayed Daconil last Thursday evening for the first time since I found signs of early blight on this plant and a neighboring Better Boy. I did a very severe pruning of all the leaves and any branches that had a couple bad leaves on it. Last night I took a small branch off the bottom to see if there was any bacterial wilt and there was no sign of any milkiness.

Lastly, the plant, other than looking denuded, appears very green and has tomatoes in varying stages of development. I have staked it but it appears to still look like it can't support itself. The stems themselves do not appear hollow or spongy. No wilt on top. I don't see any signs of distress on the stems.

I used packaged, new container soil when planting in April and have used MG only 3 times.

Any ideas why it's not absorbing water and collapsed??

Thanks,

Lindsay

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz