Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Leaves

Posted by alphlulu CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 10:55

Hi-

I live in San Jose, CA and have about 12 tomato plants in the backyard. They are about 8 weeks old, growing well, and I am starting to notice holes in the lower leaves of the plants that are on the perimeter of the garden. The holes are sort of random, like a shotgun blast, 1/8 - 3/8 in diameter and look like something is eating them away. I also notice black, powdery reside, kind of like very small pellets that brush off.

This morning I went out about 5:30am as I thought it might be snails. We have had snail problems in the back and I wasnt sure if this was related to that or not. No snails at all on any of the leaves.

Also, the tomato fruit itself does not appear to be affected at all or show any signs of being eaten.

I tried to provide picture but the image was to large, I can email to you though if that helps.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Leaves

Hi! My first thought is either flea beetles or hornworms (or some other kind of caterpillar). If the holes are small and round, I would lean toward flea beetles. If the holes are larger and more irregularly shaped, hornworms. Not sure about powdery residue, but little dark pellets suggest caterpillars (that's their doodoo, take notice of where you see it, then check the underside of the leaves right above it for a hornworm).

I a new gardener (well, back to it after a few tries!) and I have learned a lot by doing searches of the old threads on these boards. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find a search box. Try looking for hornworms and flea beetles and I'm sure you'll find a lot of reading material. Also, on this forum there is a FAQ section at the top (not all forums have them).

I wish you luck with your tomatoes--I'm fighting BER right now.

Michelle :-)

o
RE: Holes in Leaves

I say flea beetles. A few of the leaves on my plants are starting to look like lacework, and I had a tiny shiny black beetle on my arm today; I poked at it (to make sure it wasn't a tick) and it jumped. I don't generally have flea beetles, so I'm guessing it's a good year for them in the hotter parts of the Bay Area.

They're not easy to deal with, but small numbers aren't terribly harmful if the plants are growing well. They love eggplant, though, and will eat that to bits. :/

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here