Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoe pests

Posted by willlma 53215 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 11:32

My tomatoe plants are doing well but have a white powdery substance on the leaves. It also looks like there are tiny white bugs on the leaves. It seems to be spreading and I have seen them before but have found no answers when searching the web. Does anyone have a clue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato pests

does anyone know what this is? I have it all over my tomato and basil plants. I live in Tampa.

o
RE: tomatoe pests

that is most likely caterpiller poop. and possibly a large well fed caterpiller from the size of the poop...:) Do you also have parts of the plants being eaten away above where the poop is?

look carefully directly above where you see the poop and see if you can find him. usually on undersides of leaves or on the stem where they blend in very very well

could be poop from some other small pest, but really really looks like caterpillar to me
kendra

o
RE: tomato pests

sorry wilma, didn't mean to ignore your post but can you post a picture of the problem? It is very hard to help without that or give us more details.

kendra

o
RE: tomatoe pests

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:36

It *is* caterpillar poop!

As was said, examine the branches above the pellets to locate the critter. Most likely a hornworm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here