Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoesaretops

Fusarium Wilt on one and Steptoria Blight on another

tomatoesaretops
17 years ago

Hi - I've grown many of my tomatoes in containers this year and they've seemed to each choose their own special disease to addle my brain for the season - based on my reseach one has steptoria blight - see below:

the other has fusarium wilt:

myh means of treating both problems to date has been ripping off the scary diseased leaves as they appear and applying daconil. do any of the super expert tomato growers know good ways of helping my little friends out?

Image link:

Comments (3)

• tomatoesaretops
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I cannot figure out how to get my pictures to show up...I can't copy and paste them and I'm starting to go insanne and for some reason on this post it only allowed one - the steptoria - can someone also tell about posting images because the directions they give here are TERRIBLE.

• jean001
    17 years ago

If your plant has fusarium, ripping off damaged leaves won't help. Fusarium is in the soil.

• torquill
    17 years ago

If you have an account on an image-hosting site, like Photobucket or Flickr, you can upload images there and link to them here. Otherwise, you can upload only one image per thread you start here (stupid, I know, but that's the rules). If you want to post the Fusarium picture, you'll have to start another thread.

Septoria is fungal in nature, and responds well to antifungal measures. First, don't overhead-water the plants; if you absolutely must, then do it in the morning, so they dry off faster. Put mulch around the plants, to reduce the chances of soil splashing onto the leaves. Pick off the affected leaves, as you have been doing.

The last thing I would suggest is that you spray with an antifungal spray; the most popular here is Ortho Garden Disease Control, sometimes called Daconil (the old name). If you're a completely organic grower, you'll have to settle for something like Serenade, which isn't nearly as effective... but if you just want things that are as safe for you and the garden as possible, Daconil is pretty harmless. Make sure it doesn't run off into streams or ponds, as it can hurt fish... but it's virtually harmless to people, pets, and insects. It works by creating a film on the leaves, so that the spores can't germinate; it isn't absorbed into the plant at all.

For Fusarium, if you do have it -- and it's unusual for one plant to have it and another to not, as it tends to be widespread in garden soil -- picking off leaves isn't going to help. Make sure the plant is watered well enough, feed it regularly, and hope it pulls through. There's not a lot else you can do. (I'd like to see a picture, if you can start another thread... and a shot of the full plant would be most helpful there.)

--Alison