Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_dal

Life Span of Tomato Plants - Questions

John_Dal
18 years ago

Although our area has been experiencing a drought, I watered my tomato plants very little this year. I have a slightly-raised, double-dug, growing area. I mixed in lots of compost before planting, and used little fertilizer since the initial planting. My plants have been doing very well, except for a couple of varieties. It seems that Livingston's Favorite, Cuostralee, and Mortgage Lifter were not very drought tollerant. Cherokee Purple and Brandywine Red did very well. I transplanted a huge Large Red Cherry plant that produced a lot of fruit, then the leaves/limbs suddenly turned brown. Some of my plants, like this one, were started from seed way to early for my zone. Could that fact be related to their early demise? Many plants that I started from seed later in the year are still healthy. It seems to me that tomato plants in general have a life-span. (BTW, most of my plants are indeterminate).

One-by-one, my plants seem to be wilting and dying. Unexpectedly, all of the leaves/limbs begin to droop on a previously healthy plant. I have been looking at other threads, and understand that I might have a soil-born disease. If it is a soil-born disease, what can I do to fix the soil? I want to grow tomatoes in the same area next year. Or, is it a life-span problem that I should just ignore? I don't regret starting my plants early. I had ripe tomatoes long before anyone else in my area. Perhaps now my plants will the first to die!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

John

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

It seems to me that tomato plants in general have a life-span. (BTW, most of my plants are indeterminate).

Indeteriminates have been known to live for several years in frost free areas and the same inside greenhouses, so no, it's not a life span problem.

And while determinates do give a more concentrated fruit set they don't just up and die.

So something else is going on.

You say you've had drought conditions and yet haven't watered the tomatoes much, so could this be that they are wilting and dying just due to to lack of water, which is not uncommon?

What was the source of your compost?

Would you please describe exactly what happens to the plants that die starting from green healthy plants and onward, mentioning if it starts with wilting of single branches or a total collapse of the plant and whether the foliage remains green in the latter case, or not.

And how do the leaves change color? You mentioned above that the leaves turn brown but I've never seen leaves go from green to brown without there being a transition to yellow inbetween.

Do you see any dark areas on the stems or at the soil line and are there any spots on the leaves?

Carolyn

• John_Dal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your response Caolyn,

In general, the top limbs/leaves start to wilt/droop first. The next day, most or all of the limbs/leaves are droopy. At this point, the leaves and stems are still green. These symptoms are followed by the leaves and stems turning brown. At this point, there is still fruit on the plant, and it looks healthy. After awhile, the fruit tends to wilt.

Typically, when I first notice the symptoms, I assume that it is due to lack of water. In most cases then, I deep-water the plant. However, the problems do not clear up the next day. Instead, they keep getting worse.

I should add, however, that the temperature here up until just a few days ago has been 90 to 100 degrees for quite a while, with very little rain.

I don't like to water my tomato plants. I figure that they will appreciate water more if they have to work for it.

I didn't see any dark areas on the leaves or stems, but I will look again for additional symptoms tonight. Perhaps they do go from green to yellow to brown, but it happens pretty quickly, mabee three days.

I compost kitchen waste, grass, leaves, shrub trimmings, small limbs, and so on. I very seldom burn or throw out anything that grows on my property. I have a big sweet-gum tree, and the gum-balls go into my "slow-composting" pile. Everything is eventually recycled into the soil. (Perhaps I have a nitrogen deficiency).

Having said all of that, I just want to add that I still have some beautiful Cherokee Purple plants. They are caged, and about 7' tall. The tomatoes are big and juicy.

Since I have a limited growing area, I want to plant tomatoes in the same spot next year. So, as I previously mentioned, if I can do anything else to improve the soil, I will.

Thanks for your help.

John

• bodyworkbytiffany_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a similar problem with my plants. I have sweet 100s I planted just over a year ago. i live in the phoenix area. First of all they produce orange tomatoees. For a short time in the winter they produced bigger red tomatoes and then part of the plant got frosted and I cut it back and now its producing again but the same orange tomatoes. The plants are huge. They are pinned up on strings and they are all the way up to the roof and then some. But lately they seem to be drying out on some of the outter limbs and I just dont get it they do a little better with increased waterings but it doesent realley solve the problem. I recently started spraying the far limbs with water that seems to help a little. I live in an apt. I have liimited ground space that I dug out and filled and mixed with mulch. I give it B1 eggshells fruit rinds last yr rooting and blooming this year miracle grow veg plant food. I talked to somebody at lowes nursery he said the plant shouldnt even be alive or producing after the first season. I have loads of tomatos. But the plant seems to be struggeling and Im not sure what can be done.

Any sugguestions appreciated. Is there any weight to the lowes guy saying they should only last and produce for one season. this year they are producing more than last year.

Thanks

-Tiff

• taz6122
    12 years ago

No, the lowes guy doesn't know what he's talking about. They can live and produce up to 5 years, maybe more. Production will slow significantly in the off season in regards to high heat and cool weather. If misting helps then the root system is not large enough to support the plant. Try a fertilizer higher in phosphorus for better root structure. You might also try poking some deep holes around the plant and adding mycorrhizae to the root zone. A deep watering device like used for trees or watering for a longer period of time may also be useful.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists