Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with these tomatoes? Pic included

Posted by zobot2000 Atlanta (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 11:57

Hey garden community!
This is my first season growing tomatoes, and I'm so devastated. As you can see from the pics, something is eating away at the tomatoes. Most of the time they are big plump and green, and then when they start ripening, something starts "eating" (not an animal) them at the bottom, sides top, wherever.

We thought it was a fungus..and brokenheartedly bought some fungicide to spray on the previously organic tomatoes. So far, the fungicide hasn't done anything.

At this point, we'll try anything...just don't want to have wasted all that time and money and not actually be able to eat ANY of our tomatoes.

Any help is appreciated.

Image link: Whats wrong with these tomatoes? Pic included (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with these tomatoes? Pic included

Slugs maybe??

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 19:47

Slugs usually are messier than that. 2nd from right looks like bird damage.

Definitely not a fungus. Something is chewing.

o

The one on the far right looks like some wound was made, then opportunistic molds or yeasts came in to start rotting the fruit from the wound. The second from the right does look like birds, and the second from the left looks like some other creature (mouse? caterpillar?) ate away at it. I can barely see anything wrong with the one in the middle, but it shares a bunch of dark spots on the skin with almost all the others.

Those spots, along with the tomato on the left, make me think about anthracnose. It's a fungus which overwinters on debris and in soil, which is spread by splashing water and encouraged by wetness. It has a wide range of temperatures it can infect in, and it'll affect red or green fruit.

Anthracnose can be managed by some of the same methods we recommend for taking care of early blight: clean up all tomato debris in the fall, mulch heavily in the spring, pick off diseased leaves, don't overhead irrigate (I know, you can't stop the rain :) ) and spray regularly with a fungicide such as Daconil. Rotation doesn't do much in a small yard, as the spores are airborne.

I hope that helps somewhat -- though you still need to figure out a solution for the animal pests. :)

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here