Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root Knot Nematodes on Yellow Pear Toms.

Posted by bootster (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 12:03

I just looked at the six Yellow Pear Tomato plants I have. They are six feet tall and the tops are wilting on half of them. The stems are getting filled with light colored knots that I believe to be Root Knot Nematodes. They are loaded with fruit.

Should I dispose of them now in order to protect my other 45 Tomato Plants,namely Brandywine,Yellow Brandywine,Roma,Celebrity and Better Boys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root Knot Nematodes on Yellow Pear Toms.

RKN would be rare if you haven't had problems with them before and if you do have them then they are already throughout your soil so problems should be seen in other plants as well. Sacrificing one plant won't prevent further contamination but it is the only way you can confirm them. So if you wish you can pull up one plant and check for the root galls.

But there are many possible reasons for wilts with tomatoes and stem knots on tomato stems are often nothing more than normal primordia.

But to be sure we'd need some additional info or a photo if at all possible.

Dave

o

You wrote:
"The stems are getting filled with light colored knots that I believe to be Root Knot Nematodes.

Not so. As was said, RKN affects roots, not stems.

Also as said, the bumps on your stems are root initials. So, stop worrying about the bumps.

o

I won't worry about the infected plants,they got pitched.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:34

Too bad. You didn't have to do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here