Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkski

Thrips ... Yes I've got em..How to control ??

elkski
18 years ago

I just confirmed I have the thrips and want to stop my blossom drop... I have never had to use any pesticides on my mater's before. But I am ready to nuke em this time..

What is the best chemical treatment? I dont really have any ripening fruit yet ( I did just pick my first mater this am and one more looks close.) here in Utah except on my sweet 100!

Comments (7)

• elkski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have started using insecticdal soap...How often and when is The best time to apply???

• farkee
    18 years ago

Check the link below--various controls of thrips discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: thrip info.

• azkayla
    18 years ago

I have been battling them all spring and summer here in Prescott, AZ, starting with "organic" methods such as insecticidal soap and garlic oil spray, neither had any significant impact. Then I went to the vegetable dust with "permethrin", which does not have long residual (this is the same ingredient in flea powder for your pets), but it did little to help. Finally, last week I couldn't take it anymore. I was so tired of seeing thrips infested blossoms drop to the ground, and was fearing spotted wilt virus of which they are vectors, so I broke down and decided to go for the big guns, as I too want to "nuke em"! So I sprayed with malathion. My neighbor has successfully used that on her fruit trees and berries to control thrips (they are the same kind as what's on our tomatoes: western flower thrips). I sprayed with a hose end dial sprayer to get good thorough wetting. But I also mixed some solution in a spray bottle and painstakingly lifted each blossom in one hand and sprayed a fine mist into the flower with the spray bottle. One web site I found suggested that the fine mist penetrates the blossoms better. It's not quite been a week, so it's premature to draw definite conclusions, but I do visually inspect my 9 precious mater plants every day (much to my husband's chagrin, several times a day), and since I sprayed, I am seeing fewer thrips, my plants definitely look perkier, and the new growth is thrips-damage free so far. I hope in a few more days I can say with certainty that my blossom drop is also diminishing, seems like it is. I am still finding the little suckers on my plants, but not as many. So I feel hopeful. I intend to respray again after one week, and perhaps will continue through the summer, though I'd like to discontinue if possible. I was thinking that maybe if I can get the infestation under control, then I can go back to organic methods as preventive maintenance? I also practice a vigorous "squishing" protocol every morning. They are quick little suckers so you kind of have to ambush them. When you see one, carefully put your index finger of one hand real close to it. It will run in the opposite direction from your finger. But little does it know that you are waiting for it to run right where you want it to so that you can quickly "squish" it with your other hand. I usually put my first finger behind it so it runs toward the front of the stem in perfect position for the kill! I realize this may sound tedious or perhaps neurotic, but when you figure that the adult female can lay between 130 to 250 eggs, it somehow makes every ambush "squish" well worth the effort, not to mention the personal satisfaction!!! Once you get into it, you'll know what I mean!

There is tons of info on the web, just search by western flower thrips.

Keep us all posted as to your methods and results!!!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!
    AZ Kayla

• elkski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

After 2 applications one The eve of the 3rd and the next morning on the 4th...I have found some dead ones...I will keep a lookout..

• lapageria
    18 years ago

After loosing all my plants to these pests, I read somewhere that they dislike reflections very much, so CDs or alluminum foil surrounding the base of the plant will help, preventing the larvae from climbing the stem. I tried this idea last year with small foil collars, plus I added a festive xmas garland throughout the patch (the xmas tomatoes looked kind of cute). The plants survived the whole season without a single spray so I am doing the same this year. Good luck.

• elkski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well the insecticidal soap wont work here with such low humidity. I guess its active time is in minutes and after 3 sprays in 10 days I still have blossom drop bad.
    Also, While watering the other night they bit me!
    I'm going for stronger chemicals...This is upsetting because they are trying to make so many blooms and no babies will set and it might only be 8-10 weeks till the cold.

• alkalidenny
    18 years ago

Elkski,
    I have had good success with a fertilome product containing spinosad. I had a heavy infestation of thrips and got them under control in about two weeks. It is available at Steve Regan stores, there should be one near you as there are a number of them in the state. The stuff is called bagworm, tent catepillar something or other and is not harmful to beneficial insects. It cost about fourteen dollars. Good luck, I am certain you can win this battle.
    Denny

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!