Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pgh

multitude of tomato problems

karen_pgh
17 years ago

Hi. I am new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes. I've done a number of searches and I can't seem to come up with a plan of attack. I am not very experienced at gardening but last year we were overrun with tomatos and we had nine plants and this year we cut back to six and we have barely picked any yet and it doesn't look good.

First I had a major infestation of aphids. I purchased something called veggie pharm which has not eliminated them but has gotten them under control to a degree.

Now I have something eating the fruit, both ripe and green. I busted a chipmunk eating ripe tomatos but have also found one hornworm. I am guessing there are more. Alot of the fruit has a 1/4 inch hole and is rotten around the hole.

I also think I have some sort of powdery mildew. I say that because there is white, powdery substance on some of the leaves and stems.

My San Marzano's are just about goners. They are stunted and curling and half dead.

The weather has alternated between being extremely hot and humid and torrential downpours for days. It is hard to spray anything because we haven't had 3 days without rain for a month.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was trying to aviod chemicals but I am to the point that I will try anything.

BellPeppers are stunted also!

(On the plus side, beans, sweet onions, zucs, hot peppers and carrots were highly successful and cukes, broccoli and eggplant look good so far!)

Comments (3)