Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody know II

Posted by Nanelle 9/Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 12:28

I hope this is a better picture; Same message...

"Some of you may know I am looking for evidence of mites on my toomatoes. So far, you've he;ped me identify some spiders. Thanks, I will try to protect the good guys. But SOMETHING is damaging my leaves. How about these guys?"

Image link: Anybody know II (13 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody know II

Jean already answered you in your original thread below early this AM and told you it was a spider.

Carolyn, who doesn't "do" bugs. ( smile)

o

I'm sorry if I'm being a pest. This is not the same picture abd not the same bug. I am trying to tell the good guys from the bad, AND I'm trying to improve my photography and picture posting savy at the same time. I'm no expert , but I'm sure this is not a picture of spiders. Could easily be aphids but I don't know that they can cause the damage I'm seeing. I have one more picture of the webs, damage, and ?droppings, and another of soome very tiny brick red bugs, then I'm done...for now...

o

Yes aphides.
Carolyn, There are three postings by Nanelle.
The spider
The small picture with aphides
And the large picture with aphides
The posting with the large and small picture of the aphides
(This posting) was not answered by Jean but by me.
What a hoot. Its just a simple mix up.

Worth

o

Nanelle,
The tiny brick red bugs are probably spider mites and could be another source of your webs (your spider being the first). I'm not sure what kind of damage spider mites cause to a plant. Aphids suck the leaves and can cause them to curl up- some of my leaves actually turned a paler green. I suppose a heavy infestation of them could literally suck the life out of a plant. Good Luck.

o

OK, 3 different bugs, thanks.

I still don't do bugs unless they're ones I know from my area. LOL

Carolyn

o

Thanks all!

o

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 21:20

They could also be whitefly--but you need a handlens to tell. I can't tell by just looking at picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitefly photo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here