Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbubbacain

questions about wilt

bigbubbacain
18 years ago

I once heard that one way of reducing wilt in a plot of soil is to grow wilt resistant varieties of tomatoes. I think the idea behind this is that the fungus will naturally reduce or die out if it doesn't have host plants to live off. Is this true or just wishful thinking?

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Is this true or just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking, unfortunately.

it would be true if you were talking about the pathogens associated with foliage diseases but not those systemic diseases such as Fusarium, Verticillium, and friends, all of which once in the soil do not need any host since they are free living organisms.

And it's the systemic diseases that often have wilting as a major symptom, not the foliage diseases.

Wilt is just a general term which doesn't specify any one specific disease.

Carolyn

• bigbubbacain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Carolyn for your reply!

It was also suggested that I try soil solarization with plastic film as an attempt to reduce pathogens. Have you had success with this? Can you offer me any suggestions as to how long I should leave my plots covered? If not this approach, what would you suggest to a tomato-holic like me who knows he has wilt causing pathogens in his only available area of land for growing tomatoes?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you
    Bubba Cain

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

It was also suggested that I try soil solarization with plastic film as an attempt to reduce pathogens

Bubba,

A couple of comments.

First, I live in a northern zone 5 and we don't have serious wilt diseases here, so I have no personal experience with solarization.

Solarization is not perfect, as reported back from the few I know who have tried it. And it also takes the garden area out of use for the whole growing season.

I don't know how many plants you like to grow each year, neither do I know what the specific systemic wilt disease is that you have and how susceptible it might be to solarization, or how well you might be able to switch to pots over inground growing vs trying to lower the soil burden of ????

Do you think your local Coop Ext might be helpful in this regard?

Carolyn

• bigbubbacain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carolyn!
    I'll try the Coop Ext. I've hit dead ends with them in the past. In my area, they frown upon heirloom vegetables. I'll report back on this one. I can't be the only tomato nut out there with this dilemma. I forgot to mention: It's time for me to add more soil to my beds because of what was broken down from the spring crop. Will the addition of new soil possibly help my problem?

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area