Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes won't ripen (green tomatoes)

Posted by zms1 DC/Virginia (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 12:54

I planted the "BIG BUSH" tomatoe plant almost 2 months ago . Plants have grown very big and are lush green. So big that they almost falling over because of the size. The tomatoes have grown very big in size, but they are still green and will not ripen. DC has had 100 F weather for past week. I water these plants once a day. I had planted a tomotao plant at the exact same spot last eyar and I had the same problem. Few years ago I lived in a town about 2 miles away and I did not have any problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes won't ripen (green tomatoes)

• Posted by suze9 z8a TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 22:39

Tomatoes ripen when they are ready, and there's no way around it. I know, it seems like forever, especially when one is waiting for those first ones.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your plant.

o

• Posted by cbars z5b6a MO (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 9:27

As said above, HAVE SOME PATIENCE!! Your plants have been in the ground less than 60 days. Nature takes time.

Gary

o

Just think if they arent rippening then they may get even bigger :)

o

I was experiencing the same issue with my tomatoes. When I started watering every other day instead of every day, they started to turn red. (we had the same 100+ degree weather that you are now having).

o

I planted some Early Boys several weeks ago and while they produced fruit most of teh fruit is staying green. Can you tell me why?

o

Here it is at the end of the season and I have big "Sweet 100" cherry tomato plants that grow on a trellis up the side of my south facing brick wall ... 7 foot high. A fair number of tomatoes, all green. I fertilized with tomato food (lower nitrogen). I had drip irrigation set to water for 15 minutes every morning ... but a am just now getting "a few" cherries that are ripening. Why didn't they ripen earlier? Am I doing something wrong?

o

It might just be too warm!! Go figure!!

My tomatoes were planted in May and because my greenhouse was too warm throughout the summer they are just starting to ripen now.

Check this link on Tomato Ripening:

http://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=91

If you can't open the link, the most important info is this "The optimum temperature for ripening tomatoes is 70 to 75F. When temperatures exceed 85 to 90 F, the ripening process slows significantly or even stops."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here