Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessejamespsyd

Need help w/Tomato Pests (Rats/Opossum/Birds??)

jessejamespsyd
18 years ago

This Spring I planted different varities of tomatoes in potted containers. They are just now starting to ripen. Sadly, just as this starts to occur I come out the next morning only to discover that some sneaky critter has been eating my tomatoes. The bites are big and I can see teeth marks. Any suggestions as to what I should do to deal with this problem before all my tomatoes disappear? How have others sucessfully dealt with this issue?

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• suze9
    18 years ago

First off, if you're seeing teeth marks and it's happening at night, that eliminates birds.

It helps if you know what you're dealing with. Usually the best way to figure that out is to actually go out there at night. Put out spring loaded traps (get the large ones), then sit quietly outside and listen for them to be sprung. I will tell you in advance if it's possums, it's not always the prettiest thing to deal with, and sometimes one has to use a shovel to finish the job (sorry).

Alternatively, you could move the containers closer to the house. Some folks will also put a radio (set on a talk station) out in the patch -- just be sure and cover it to waterproof it if you do that.

• sunflower71
    18 years ago

If your critter only likes the ripe ones, you might try picking the tomatoes after they start blushing and letting them finish ripening on the counter.

Shaila

• geoff_no_ca
    18 years ago

I am having the same problem and I think I am seeing teeth marks. I am in Northern Cal and it would be either rats or squirrels. My neighbor has a large orange tree and I can see the rats come home at dusk to roost in their orange tree.

I have a dog but he sleeps inside at night and I am getting hit either very late at night or early morning. I have already picked any nearly ripe maters but now they are attacking the green ones.

I don't see any rat poop, which is usually present w/ rats. Also, there are torn bits of the tomatos scattered everywhere, that might be a hint.

My question is: is there way to determine if it's rats or squirrels? and would that affect the solution at all? I think I'll try some netting.

• alfy
    18 years ago

I have the same problem and I know what is causing it--- Groundhog. My dogs almost got it the other day but it got away. Tonite I saw it again coming out of my Tomato patch and unfortunately, I didn't have my 22 rifle with me. I have a trap set out but the groundhog is too smart to go into it. My only recourse is the 22. The rodent only likes my ripe tomatoes and the tops of my red beets.

• Camelotshadow
    18 years ago

mine likes the rips ones too
    sop I have been picking them whenever I can
    but arrrgh I can buy them at the store if I wanted
    unripe tomatoes
    cause you never get the full flavor but its better than waking up to half eaten tomaotoes
    and the buggers go for the ripe ones

I've heard russling in the ivy near the tomato patch and I've been thrwowing the scarred tomaotes in the bushes hoping theyd eat there and get full
    well at least no casulties last night

trouble is there are dogs in the area as well as people
    its aneasement
    so traps and poison are out
    so looking for a safer solution

think its rats as they were seen eating tomaotes on the table

• nctom
    18 years ago

I just recieved an idea in my email. It says to begin hanging red xmas bulbs of different sizes early in the season before you actually have fruit.. The idea being that the critters will be fooled into thinking that your tomatoes are worse than Elimay's biscuts.

I realize animals are attracted by scent. It may work still, especially if they're in the habit of coming to your garden.

There is some fun to be had with this one :)

• John__ShowMe__USA
    18 years ago

I don't have any experience with groundhogs, but have trapped many possums the last few years. They are extremely fussy about ripeness and feed at night. I have a picture of possum teeth marks in a tomato if that would help ID.

jt

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!