Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_24_gw

disease identification

bella_24
18 years ago

Wow, finally after two years of using this site i am finally a member. :-)

My situation is: I am growing a sungold tomato plant in a container, and up until now i have had no problems. The plant has looked beautiful and produced a good quanity and quality cherry tomato. Though the plant is still producing well, i have noticed what looks to be a disease. It has been very hot here, so i water in the morning and then again in the evening when they are dry. It receives adequate sun exposure and is fertilized every two weeks. I am also growing a Chadwick cherry not to far from it and it is showing no signs of problems. I have noticed in the evening after a very hot day and the soil has become dry, several of the lower leaves appear as though they are wilting. Of course i water and the next morning all wilting is gone. However some of the leaves(mostly on lower part of plant) have started turning yellow, and on some they turn yellow with brown dried areas in the middle. I have looked at the tomato problem solver and though none of those pics match what i have, some pics on the web suggest Verticillium wilt. For all i know though it could just be Early blight. I have posted pics of the leaves and the inside of one of the stems. Any sugestions of what it is and how i can remedy the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Image link:

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Of course i water and the next morning all wilting is gone. However some of the leaves(mostly on lower part of plant) have started turning yellow, and on some they turn yellow with brown dried areas in the middle. I have looked at the tomato problem solver and though none of those pics match what i have, some pics on the web suggest Verticillium wilt. For all i know though it could just be Early blight. I have posted pics of the leaves and the inside of one of the stems. Any sugestions of what it is and how i can remedy the problem would be much appreciated.

Argghhh!!!!

I had almost finished my post to you when a spyware update took over and I lost that post. LOL

OK, if the wilting is reversed at night or when you water then it really doesn't indicate a vascular systemic disease such as Verticillium, even tho the one leaf you show has a V shaped lesion and apparently affected leaves are at the bottom of the plant.

Have you seen any complete yellowing to browning of leaves and folaige death?
    \ In addition, you're growing in a container and V is soilborne, so unless you used native soil with V already in it it makes V seem less probable.

What was the source of your Sungold plant as opposed to your Chadwick Cherry which you say has no such symptoms and I assume is growing under the same conditions.

I can't see the internmal structure of the few leaf lesions you show but I do see a bit of yellow halo which, along with the size/shape suggests a fungal folaige infection, either Early BLight or Septoria.

Where do we stand at this point?

Carolyn

• bella_24
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn

I have seen a couple leaves turn yellow then to brown and eventually die. I thought that i had read that V. wilt could be transmitted through thrips from an onion plant, and i am growing green onion not to far from tomatoes. However my stems are not showing the signs V. Wilt.

Yes, all plants are growing under same conditions, with same watering, ect. I grow everything from seed(even strawberries) and i ordered my sungold seeds through Swallowtail Garden Seeds and my chadwick from Seeds of Change. Could i have just recieved bad seeds?

Thanks for the quick response and atleast now i have narrowed it down a bit. I will research early blight and septoria, and hope i am not to late to save my favorite tom plant.

Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of either early blight or septoria?

Thanks

• bella_24
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have now seen alot of leaves turn yellow then brown then death. I believe that this is early blight, any suggestions for treating the problem?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I have now seen alot of leaves turn yellow then brown then death. I believe that this is early blight, any suggestions for treating the problem?

If your observations suggest Early Blight or Septoria, often hard to tell apart, then the best treatment is Ortho Garden Disease Control, which is Daconil.

I'm assuming you're seeing the typical lesions of one of those fungal foliage pathogens on the leaf and if so, then know that wilting is NOT a symptom associated with that infection.

it's still possible that Vert may be involved, but the leaves should tell you by their appearance and by continued and more severe wilting as time goes on.

So perhapos the wilting is just the normal hot weather daytime wilt with recovery at night.

Carolyn