Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilbert_gw

I Don't Get It

dilbert
17 years ago

1. Why am I the only one whose number one problem is consistently (for 35 years) mites?

2. Why am I rarely bothered by the other pests/diseases that are popular with other posters? I have never used any fungicide. I have never used any insecticide except in an effort to kill mites.

3. What do farmers use to control mites on tomatoes? I see no good miticides registered for use on food crops. All the good ones are registered only for use on ornamentals.

Comments (10)

• suze9
    17 years ago

What kind of mites -- spider mites, russet mites, something else?

What insecticides have you used in the past in an attempt to control them? Some can actually make the problem quite a bit worse.

Wettable sulfur works well, but one can't always use it when it is needed the most (be careful with sulfur in hot temps, it can burn the plants).

Kelthane works a treat -- I know more than a few experienced tomato growers in Tx that use it with excellent results, and mites are a real problem here. However, it is becoming increasingly hard to find, and it's just not something I personally care to use.

Soap sprays/insecticidal soap will help to provide good control when used religiously 2x a week, but can make plants photosensitive and wetting plants isn't something I like to do here because of the possibility of fungal disease. Your mileage may vary; you might be able to get away with it in IL.

Others use lightweight oils, but I have not gotten effective control from doing so.

Neem oil -- same thing, not much effect.

What do I use with good results? Natural pyrethrins (not pyrethroids). They can be pricey, but a little goes a long way.

Here is a link that might be useful: mites

• dilbert
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your input. Here is the part I find most useful. Your link recommends ABAMECTIN in the form of Agri-Mek which is registered for use on food crops. I was unaware of Agri-Mek but I have been using ABAMECTIN in the form of Avid which is not registered for food crops. That works very well, but I have always been worried and exercised restraint. I note that Agri-Mek is not as widely available as Avid or Flora-Mek. Where can I buy Agri-Mek?

"What kind of mites -- spider mites, russet mites, something else?"

I don't know. In all cases, ABAMECTIN kills them. Most years it progresses from the bottom up. This year it started on newer growth. I suspect that all mites are carried by the wind. They certainly are small enough. The only question is whether they survive the trip.

• suze9
    17 years ago

Where can I buy Agri-Mek?

Beats me.

My impression (from some light googling) is that although it is approved for food crops, the caveat is that it's restricted use -- one would need to have a commercial applicators license. Oh, and it looks like the link I gave you notes "Permit required from county agricultural commissioner for purchase or use."

But yet, the consumer can purchase Avid, which is the same thing, with the understanding that it is *not* approved for food crops (for the consumer). ;)

Let me know if you find or understand otherwise.

• dilbert
    Original Author
    17 years ago

suze9,

Well, the practical difference between Agrimek and Avid is, if something goes wrong with Avid on food crops, you can't sue the company and you will go to jail. As I recall, the main symptom of ABAMECTIN poisoning is temporary cataracts.

What brand of natural pyrethrins do you use?

• suze9
    17 years ago

What brand of natural pyrethrins do you use?

I use PyGanic 5% at the rate of 1.5 to 2 teaspoons/gallon.

Johnny's sells it.

• whizzer75
    17 years ago

Suze,
    How hot is too hot to use sulphur?

• suze9
    17 years ago

Whizzer, for wettable sulfur, the standard recommendation is not to use any time one expects a temp of 90f (some even say 88f) within the next 24 hours. So it's basically useless to me when I would need it most.

• whizzer75
    17 years ago

Thanks Suze,
    Sort of lets me out for a while also. Low to mid 90s forcast here for several more days.
    What I thought was a foliage disease I couldn't identify may be a mite problem. I'll try sulphur when it cools.

• dilbert
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"may be a mite problem."

May????? Unless you are blind, there is absolutely no reason for doubt. Either you can see the mites with a magnifying glass, or you do not have a mite problem. When I was young, I could easily see them with my naked eyes.

• whizzer75
    17 years ago

It's not that I can't see them, it's just that there are not many. A few on a few leaves. Maybe my occassional use of soap spray is keeping them down. I'm going to try the sulphur anyway.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!