Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
containerted

Purple edged leaves

containerted
14 years ago

The first thing to know is that this plant (supposed to be West VA '63) looked fine two days ago. I started seeing this late yesterday. Most of the foliage on this plant is lighter in color than other plants nearby.

What has me puzzled, is that my Goose Creek plant is also in this container and it is fine. Both plants have been watered and fertilized equally. I topdressed with fresh mix and Tomato-Tone about a week ago. The plant has produced a few fruit, and they seem to be fine. No other plant is displaying this purple fringe. Missing micro-nutrients doesn't makes sense as Tomato-Tone has been used from the beginning.

Could this be genetic???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

{{gwi:1299593}}

{{gwi:1299594}}

Jean, I hope you will chime in on this one.

Ted

Comments (7)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Okay. Even if I''m not the Jean you're talking about, I'll chime in.

Hmmm. Never seen anything like it. (sigh & sorry)

Perhaps someone else has information.

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are the "jean" I was referring to. I just think your conclusions are usually based in good common sense. I'm on the verge of pulling this thing, but I really would like to figure it out before I do.

Thanks anyway.

Ted

• jean001
    14 years ago

You wrote: " I just think your conclusions are usually based in good common sense."

Thanks. I do try. My information is based on a formal education, with a specialization in insects and plant disease, plus 35 years of experience, also consulting with folks who know more than I do.

But let's get back to your tomato.

If that were my plant, I'd wait to see what happens next. May simply be an environmental glitch of some kind. Although, as I said, I've not seen that previously.

It's certainly doesn't look like an infectious sort of thing. But if you want to be on the cautious side, I'd set it apart from the other plants, then wait and watch.

And of course, please post again when it returns to normal and/or you figure out what occurred to trigger this response.

I hope Carolyn sees your post and will chime in.

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, jean. I've posted this on three different forums. Carolyn loves her tennis and gets easily distracted to her second love since she had Dish installed.

I agree with "wait for it". I'm going to try an aspirin foliar feed on a portin of the purple to see if that affects it. Might also try a Tomato-Tone tea on a small section. Gonna be a long day in the garden.

Ted

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a link that shows the answer to purple leaves.

Ted

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple leaves study

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another link that discusses "Tomato Purple Leaf Disease" in detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: TPLD link

• jean001
    14 years ago

Good job in the research department.

The piece describes at least one thing I don't see on your pictures. That when one leaf overlies another, the "sheltered" area may lack the purpling.

It does mention that the purple patterning varies. (The image shows the entire leaf purpled.)

It frustrates me whenever these brief blurbs turn up that and lack adequate info for others to diagnose.

So, even though your plant's purpling may be what's in the reports, my suspicious mind wants more info to be certain.

Perhaps you might track down one of the scientists who reported the problems, send your images, and ask more questions.

Keep us posted.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting