Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

Re: Wilt on Tigerella

raisemybeds
18 years ago

I am hoping Carolyn can respond with what I should do (yank the plant or not) re: recently posted sudden wilt on tigerella plant. Watering does not resolve the wilt although when clipped, the wilted parts respond to being immersed in a cup of water. So must be a vascular obstruction of some sort further down on the plant, and I believe that indicates fusarium? Not sure. Would you yank it if in your own garden? Does it spread to other plants?

Comments (2)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

So must be a vascular obstruction of some sort further down on the plant, and I believe that indicates fusarium? Not sure. Would you yank it if in your own garden? Does it spread to other plants?

I had to go back to your other thread on the same topic from last Wed to refresh my memory on this one and saw that you didn't answer my questions there. And wondering why you started a new thread and didn't just post in that one which would have brought it to the top. ( smile)

Specifically, what is the foliage like, as in change of color or not, dying leaves of what color, etc? That really will help make a diagnosis.

And nope, Fusarium is not the only disease that causes vascular problems and for many of these diseases that are systemic if the soil is contaminated with a pathogen most of the plants will come down with it.

Please remind me about the source of this plant as opposed to all your other plants that don't show the same symptoms in the same location.

Thanks.

Carolyn

• raisemybeds
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Carolyn - I tried to answer on the last thread but the system wouldn't allow me to do so, stating that I had already posted a followup, so I started a new one. The leaves do not change color, they stay green but whole branches wilt. I whacked off a couple of the really bad ones close to the main stem, and did not see any vascular problems. Also, as I posted before, a piece of the wilted branch was removed the first day I noticed the problem, and it revived in a glass of water after about an hour. No ooze present. Now, since I have whacked off most of the wilt, the plant looks okay, but I am watching to see if more wilt occurs. You mention soil pathogens, and that has me worried because my tomato beds are new this year and are filled with a lot of leaves, grass, straw, manure, and other compostables (2 feet worth) that have been loaded into the frames and allowed to compost since last Summer/Fall then turned and topped off with bagged garden soil this Spring, then mulched with shredded straw around the transplanted tomatoes. This material was not completely broken down at planting time, but half-finished OM has never caused me problems before. I am wondering whether the higher temperatures of the raised bed environment, higher even in Winter, prevent a kill-off of nasties that freezing temperatures would normally accomplish? Don't know.