Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aack. Bacterial canker on tomatoes or something else?

Posted by chervena_chuska WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 13:46

Hi all,
We had lots of rain and then very dry humid weather the last 3+ weeks. I've been noticing some fungus like spots on my tomatoes and pruning them as well as starting some copper and neem treatment that was keeping things under control.

Today I went out and it seems to have gotten worse in the last few days. The edges of the bottom leaves (old and new) are browning and small spots are appearing and then there is some yellowing and wilt. I also found a suspicious looking pepper.

Can anyone help me diagnose this? What treatment can I do? I sometimes overreact to these tomato diseases so I want to confirm.

Pictures are here on Flickr at the link.

Thank you so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spots, leave edge browning

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aack. Bacterial canker on tomatoes or something else?

The narrow off-color leaf edges may be environmental.

Difficult to say what the dark splotchy on the stems are.

Has it progressed to additional leaves? If not, just remove the affected ones.

o

Some of my tomatoes have the narrow dark leaf-edge problem. I've never seen it before.

I don't see it on the newest leaves, but the middle and some lower leaves. It doesn't seem to spread, and I'm postulating that it's not related to any of the normal yellowing and spotting on the lower leaves. So I'm not worrying about it.

Apparently similar edge damage can occur in other crops with low levels of calcium ... but I doubt that's what's going on here because I haven't seen any blossom end rot.

o

Low calcium=, when expressed in the leaves, typically aborts tip growth.

o

jean, in the case of my tomatoes, it's not leaf tips but edges. What do you think: does that sound like a lack of calcium?

o

Well, mine is definitely bacterial canker. Two plants for certain.

Never seen it here before (or in Illinois when I grew tomatoes in the Olden Days), so I'll blame Bonnie Plants....

Not happy here.

If anyone else encounters this, here's a good article with some photos:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Tomato_Bacterial.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here