Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
culdeus

How I defeated Green Stink Bugs. I hope....

culdeus
18 years ago

Anyway, I started seeing the stink bugs early on after fruit set. I didn't think anything of them because the fruit looked ok and there weren't that many. I squished a few and just let things run their course.

Anyway left for a 2 week vacation and came back to hundreds of them and tons of discolored fruit. Ack.

I tried spraying them directly with soaps and orange oils and all sorts of stuff. Nothing worked.

I switched to a sprayer with "Bioganics" and sprayed that and it slowed them down, but not much. However, I did notice it was probably killing the eggs as new bugs were not showing up.

Then in a last gasp I broacast about 5# of Diatamaceous Earth over the entire plot AFTER spraying the bioganics on the tops and bottoms of leaves. I'd go for the "take a big scoop and toss it as high in the air as possible (wear dust mask and glasses!)

Plants looked like they got snowed on. DE isn't really supposed to work on stinkers, but I was desparate to get things under control.

Well, it's been 10 days since I've seen one and I'm starting to think it worked. I've continued to spray a little bioganics here and there to ensure the eggs are gone and dead and I released another 6k tric. wasps for various things.

Anyway, maybe DE on the leaves and fruit does the trick for these pests. Maybe.

Comments (5)