Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurieee_gw

Scary wasp-like critters in tomato planters

Laurieee
18 years ago

Hi folks,

The question regards burrowing buzzing creatures that make individual holes in my tomato planters. Do you know what they are, and/or what I should do? I don't know whether I should start chemical warfare (which I like to avoid), abandon my plants, or leave them alone and interact very carefully.

Rank newbie here, to the forum and to tomato culture. My home has three half-barrel planters on the back porch, with nothing deliberately grown in them for at least 10 years. This year I bought a tomato and cage for each planter. They've been growing like crazy, very dense, with little green fruits showing.

But now they are surrounded by "armed guards." For me a sting would not be life threatening, but would be quite health threatening. I have an inflammatory illness and any provocation of immune response is to be avoided if possible.

I don't know what these beasts are, and I'm not sure the tomatoes are worth the risk.

Description: the insects are not as fat as bees or as skinny as wasps. They're small, maybe a half inch long, and very "busy" buzzing around pretty quickly. And they are burrowing into small individual holes over the surface of the soil. They're black and yellow, some of them with the yellow very pale.

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

They're black and yellow, some of them with the yellow very pale.

Sounds like hornets although I assure you I'm no insect expert. They do burrow and just walking across the lawn to one of my former gardens was a danger b'c of stepping on their nests.

The more important issue is if you have an inflammatory disease and any antibody response is a danger to you then it seems you have no choice other than to go buy that wasp and hornet killer stuff and spray from a distance or have someone do it for you. Follow the directions on the label as to when the best time to spray.

Carolyn

• worth1
    18 years ago

Some bumble bees make holes also,what ever they are,around a nest they can get real nasty you do need to get rid of them.

Worth

• farkee
    18 years ago

Ground nesting bees and wasps are considered beneficial--many are not agressive and if not in a bothersome place should not be poisoned. HOWEVER, as you say a sting would compromise your health than control would be obviously be warranted. GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR YOU--they could try a drench of soapy water after dark when they are not active. Then seal nest with dirt and mulch. There are pesticides that are available --a search on internet will provide specifics.

(Univ. of Fl.-)
    " Many persons use commercially available wasp and hornet spray for killing the bees. This knocks down the insects quickly and can be used from a distance. Dust formulations of labelled persticides may also be pumped onto an enclosed nest. There is more and more evidence that soapy water is also a very good material to use that is inexpensive and relatively environmentally benign. How the bees are killed will depend on the particular situation."

All the literature says that if you are allergic to stings get professional control help. For the rest of us, pollinating insects should be protected and encouraged.

• farkee
    18 years ago

Hi Worth forgot to mention, Bumble bees are not considered agressive and it isn't necesary to get rid of nests (unless allergic to stings). I have not seen one in my yard EVER (been here 25 years) though they do exist in FLorida. I love bumblebees and saw one at a botanical garden once in Palm Beach. I had to restrain myself not to steal it. I can only assume that pesticides have played havoc on that species. I recently thought that maybe I could BUY some bumblebees and am looking into it.

THis is the first thing I brought up in my favorite's list and they sell bumblebees for pollination purposes but there is alot of info. about bumble bees on internet.
    "Bumblebee queens and workers can sting, but rarely do so except in their own defence and, usually, only if actually handled - SO AVOID PICKING THEM UP!

Unlike wasps, bumblebees are generally quite docile and non-aggressive, and go about their business with little attention to human activity, even when this is close to the nesting site. If a colony is unearthed or disturbed, for example when gardening, it should be left alone and simply covered over again. The bees will quickly repair any damage and carry on as before."

"There is no justification for destroying bumblebee colonies. Mostly they go unnoticed, but a small inconvenience due to the position of a nest is more than repaid by the immense value of these insects as pollinators of many wild and cultivated plants. Pollination in some crops, like runner beans and field beans, depends almost entirely on the foraging activity of bumblebees or honeybees. Few, if any, bean flowers will set pods unless visited by these insects. Likewise, many varieties of apples, pears and plums produce more fruit when bees are plentiful on the blossom." IPM Alaskan

Best wishes and hope your garden is productive for you this year. Farkee (I have 6 cats so believe you have me beat by one)

• Laurieee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Wise thoughts. I'm pretty sure these are not bees, and I'm glad for that if I have to kill them. Or rather, have my husband kill them, as you suggest.

I've purchased the wasp/hornet killer - getting both the long distance shot, and a liquid that can be poured on the soil. I wish I could communicate with the bugs and leave them alone. I can't take care of a plant when I'm terrified, and for me this is a substantial risk.

Thanks again.

• farkee
    18 years ago

Worth, loved your story. Can understand why your mom was none too fond of those bumblebees. I grew up in the midwest where we had bumblebees so I miss them. I am not afraid of wasps or bees (or should I say the non-aggressive ones) though I know yellow jackets are not to be reckoned with. Just my luck I will buy a bunch of bumblebees and they will end up chasing me all over the yard. Farkee

• worth1
    18 years ago

Farkee,
    I too have noticed a decline in all types of critters Bumbles included it seems the over use of pesticides and flat out ignorance of wildlife and its role in our delicate environment has caused a terrible imbalance. I wont even kill a rattlesnake or spider the "fiddle back is an exception", I do hate those snake roundups as they kill all the snakes. I have lots of frogs and spiders and bees in my mater patch even after a little use of seven to kill the grasshoppers.

Worth