Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muirbeachkat

Is this Late Blight?

MuirBeachKat
18 years ago

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of research (the Problem Solver 2 thread was very helpful) and I'm pretty convinced that my tomatoes have late blight (see pic below). I have a small vegetable garden and I'm having this problem in all my beds. Is there any way I can control it, or will I have to replace my soil? I'm getting pretty discouraged and have almost given up on the vegie garden all together.

Thanks,

Kathy

Image link:

Comments (4)

• Hego
    18 years ago

Kathy,

Yes, it's late blight. Sorry, but you can't control it.

Which toms did you plant?

Hego

• MuirBeachKat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Hego,

These are Early Girls. I also have sweet 100s next to them that are starting to show signs of blight as well. It happened so fast. I don't have a lot of choices where I am, because of the cool foggy summers. Guess I'll have to give up on tomatoes altogether :(

Does late blight affect anything else?

Kathy

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Does late blight affect anything else?

Potatoes mainly, but are you sure it's Late Blight.

Often I've been confused between that and Gray Mold.

I can't see the fruit lesions that well to see if they are rough, but they look smooth, which is more a trait of Gray Mold, which can be a real problem in cool humid areas. Stem and leaf lesions are similar ofr both.

Also, I can't see if the petioles are bending down either.

From the time you first see the symptoms of Late Blight on your plants they should be a stinking mass of black dead tissue within a week or two. If Gray Mold that won't happen.

So take a long look at Gray Mold and decide if you want to try a good anti-fungal or not depending opn how your plants do in the next few days.

Carolyn

• MuirBeachKat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Carolyn,

I have a few more pics, if you'd like to see them. I went on vacation for a week, came back last Sunday and was thrilled at how well my tomatoes looked! This happened literally within 5 days! What do you mean by the petioles bending down?

I'll take another look at gray mold.

Thanks!

Kathy

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm