Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo_gw

Is this Bacterial Spot?

Booboo
18 years ago

Hi All,

Yet another problem ... this one looks like Bacterial Spot from looking at the problem solver pictures. I've only seen it on a few leaves - not on any fruit (which are mostly all still green). I remove any infected leaves I find but I'm wondering if this is something that's bound to spread throughout.

I've been growing heirloom tomatoes six or seven and have never seen this on any of my plants before this year. I do believe I have control of the EB this season. My tomatoes are mulched with several inches of straw. We're having a very dry season now 6.07" below normal. I water about every ten days ... the straw seems to be holding moisture in the ground.

Before I try to find a copper spray ... I think Carolyn mentioned Kocide? ... I'd like to get a positive ID so I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

{{gwi:1299622}}

TIA

Boo

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Boo, you can see the internal structure better than I can but it does look like Spot at an early stage. I say that b'c I usually see yellow halos and also the center portion of the spot drops out as the disease progresses/

Fruit symptoms in my experience have been much rarer when Spot infects.

Yes,. Kocide is good but harder to find, so a straight copper prep such as Bonide Liquid Copper is also OK.

And it's good to know that most commercial folks don't even spray for Speck or Spot, for two reasons. First, treatment is not all that satisfactory most of the time and second, most feel that the bacterial foliage infections don't progress as fast as the fungal ones.

But folks with just backyard gardens don't have the luxury of having as many plants as the commercial folks.

Carolyn

• Booboo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn ... I haven't found very much of this infection on my plants (just a couple so far) but I did find one leaf yesterday where the black spot had left a hole. I haven't seen any sign of yellow halos at all - that must be unusual? I have 143 plants in the veg garden which I check a couple times a day but I could've missed some - it's not easy to check all that foliage.

Generally speaking they are all growing well, some huge already - loaded with blossoms and fruit, considering the pruning I gave them when I found the Round-Up drift damage. Which makes me think my pruning may have helped cause this infection? I read "It enters healthy plants through stomata or wounds and maximum infection occurs under very moist conditions in warm weather (68 degrees Fahrenheit to 95 F), especially when night temperatures are warm (75 F to 82 F)." We're having Hot days and warm nights but certainly not moist conditions.

Considering your input, I'm thinking of holding off if it doesn't worsen, just keep checking and remove any infected leaves I guess? I just don't want to wait till it's too late to treat. How does that sound? :-)

Thanks again!!
    Boo

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

How does that sound? :-)

Sounds fine.

And while infection can often occur thru wounds it's good to remember that it is spread by airborne means, often accompanying wind driven heavy rains.

predisposing conditions as mentioned in one of my books simply say warm temps ( 75-86) with sprinkler irrigation or heavy rains favor disease development.

But favor means just that, it doesn't mean you have to have.

Carolyn

• Booboo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

What are your other books besides "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden"?

TIA
    Boo