Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomstrees

I got it - thought I was going to be lucky but ...

tomstrees
18 years ago

got the f. wilt - yanked 3 plants ; and then today noticed BER on my JF - what can I do to amewnd the soild for next year other that crop rotation - I;m limited on space ~ 12x12 ' any help would be great ; should i collect alot of seaweed as compost and crush up seashells to an almost powder to add calicium ? any help would be great - I really dont want to have to go down the hybrid path ~

Comments (5)

• worth1
    18 years ago

Are you sure thatÂs what you have if so every thing that I have read and heard about it is you really cant grow maters on that spot any more.
    I think others can help you on the diagnosis of this better than me though.
    Where did you get the plants, have you grown there before?
    What are your symptoms? Was there a brown discoloration in a cross section of the stem close to the base of the plant? The old timers called it yellows due to the coloring of the plant but that is not the only thing that will make a plant turn yellow.
    If you have it you did the right thing pulling them up and they need to leave the area, donÂt use them for compost or anything.

Worth

• suze9
    18 years ago

"got the f. wilt"

How did you come to that determination (are you sure)?

"- yanked 3 plants ; and then today noticed BER on my JF - what can I do to amewnd the soild for next year other that crop rotation - I;m limited on space ~ 12x12 ' any help would be great ; should i collect alot of seaweed as compost and crush up seashells to an almost powder to add calicium ?"

Is it possible for you to have a soil test ? That's what I'd recommend before you go adding a bunch of amendments.

You may need calcium, could be the pH... maybe neither one.

However, as you may have noticed due to all the threads about BER that have been posted lately, the primary cause tends to be uneven moisture. Are you mulching, trying not to over or underwater?

"any help would be great - I really dont want to have to go down the hybrid path"

Hybrids aren't going to make much of a difference, if any, for either the BER or the fusarium wilt, so you may as well grow what you like.

The tolerances (VF, etc.) are generally only going to buy you a few extra days... not even noticeable to the home gardener. More noticeable and potentially helpful in commercial/mass production.

• tomstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the funny thing is the only "wilt" I got and destroyed my yellow pears ; and yes I had planted them in the same spot the year before - only this week have I notice one of my Opalkas starting to turn yellow from the bottom up - so hard to deal with ; with these soil borne diseases ; last year I was picking until NOV. !! this year looks like I'd be lucky if I got to Oct. 1st ~ Tom

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

Hi Tomstrees
    I have it too. I planted Celebrity this year as they were supposed to be wilt resistant. They had been doing beautifully and I had had my first two delicious tomatoes from them--last week I noticed the dreaded yellowing from the ground up and the following drying and browning. I have quite a few tomatoes on there but I am really concerned about the plants being dead before all the tomatoes ripen. I really don't want to go the container route, but I am really lost about this problem.

• tomstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the funny thing is the cucumbers growing right next to the "yanked" yellow pears are doing??...... OUTSTANDING !! Problem is - I wanted yellow pears for my salads !!! - but it looks like .... cucumber salad it is ~ Tom