Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoe disease

Posted by beachgirl_2006 MC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 15:28

My black plum tomatoe plant leaves at the top are wilting,the stem is turning brown, and the tomoatoes at the bottom end are getting round brown spots. My cherry tomatoes are doing fine. They are at opposite ends of my deck in containers. I don't want to loose it. And I have a heirloom tomatoe plant that is also doing good. What do I do to save the plum tomatoe???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoe disease

Check the TAMU tomato problem solver site to see if any of the pictures match your problem. It sounds like either a fungus or a virus wilting your plants. If your others are so far unaffected--depending on how far the original infection has gone, I'd consider sacrificing your plum for the sake of your other plants, and spray the others with a fungicide of your choice as a preventative. As far as tomatoes getting brown at the end, that could be blossom end rot or the same fungal disease--it's really hard to tell without pictures. Good luck picking it out. If you can't find the TAMU site, check for the tomato problem solver thread in here--the link is in there.

o
RE: Tomato disease

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 20:19

You wrote: "tomoatoes at the bottom end are getting round brown spots. "

Check the FAQ for details about blossom end rot.

o
RE: Tomatoe disease

The blossom end rot is a symptom of the overall problem, I think, not the classic watering issue.

Wilting at the top says to me that the plant isn't able to get water up from the roots, and the cause is probably the browning of the stem. BER would result, too, since it wouldn't be able to get water to the fruit, either.

I'm guessing (without a picture, it really is a guess) that it's a stem canker of some sort, either Alternaria canker (if dark) or even Southern Blight (if it's starting to grow white threads around it). Take a cutting of the top if it's not totally gone yet (noting the date of your post), then root that in water and toss the rest of the plant in the garbage, dirt and all. Sterilize the pot with bleach, buy new soil, stick the (rooted) cutting in the new setup, and you should be okay.

Don't use tools, like pruners, on the uninfected plant after using them on the infected one... and wash your hands when switching from one to the other, too.

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here