Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_96

iron defency

james_96
18 years ago

to whome might know

i set out 8 0r 10 plants a week or so ago they all look iron defency i read where they put iron in hole before sitting plants what should i do to fix problem i have got some iron dust would that help if i worked it around plants thanks james.

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

to whome might know
    i set out 8 0r 10 plants a week or so ago they all look iron defency i read where they put iron in hole before sitting plants what should i do to fix problem i have got some iron dust would that help if i worked it around plants thanks james.

James,

Newly set out plants aren't going to develop iron deficiency in one week.

When they are about two weeks old you can fertilize them, which remninds me to ask you if you put anything in the planting hole other than the plants and water?

Carolyn

• james_96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i put 6 12 12 in hole wen planted the bud and young leaves turned yellow white could firlizer cause it to do that thanhs.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

i put 6 12 12 in hole wen planted the bud and young leaves turned yellow white could firlizer cause it to do that thanhs.

Absolutely .

Adding fertilizer to the hole burns the young roots and really should never be done.

And that's why I asked the question.

And it' why your plants look so yellowish, that is, the roots have been damaged and can't take up nutrients.

Nothing much you can do at this point , though, just keep the plants wet, but not drowning, and hope some of that fertilizer leaches away.

I oncve did something similar many years ago with triple phosphate, and even though I dug up the plants and placed them in water with consecutive changes of that water to flush out the phosphate, they all died.

Lets hope yours recover.

Carolyn

• james_96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks carlon you right to much 6 12 12 all but 1 are doing good i will be more careful next time thanks again .
    james

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    18 years ago

Hope this isn't considered a "hijack".I also have lightening ( bright to pale yellow) leaves with what I think is called "interveinal greening", and have been thinking nitrogen more likely than iron deficiency as it's affecting older leaves the most.(Looks like it could be calcium or magnesium as well). I was wondering if it could be from compost I applied about three weeks ago. Perhaps it wasn't finished? Would a nitrogen source be appropriate now? These plants are 10 weeks in the ground and five feet tall. If it's iron, whats the best source for vegetables, or is it most likely a pH thing? I'm about to do a soil test, which might be appropriate for the initial poster as well.

• james_96
    Original Author
    18 years ago

nanelle i ben garding and farming aii my life trial err is all i ever done till i found this forum thanks for asking i cant help sorry.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH