Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumierefrere

Electronic Rodent Repeller

lumierefrere
18 years ago

I was at the feedstore today and asked about Mr. Rat and what to do besides poison. They say people use those devices that emit high pitch noises and it disorients the rodents (something).

Anyone have any experience with these? They're $20+ so that's quite an investment for something that might not work.

B

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

A couple of years ago I asked around about these b'c at the time I was having problems in the toolshed, and to a person they said don't bother.

The one person said he and dear wife had bought even the more expensive ones than you mention but said they worked for maybe a month or so and then it was back to normal rodent status.

I have a huge dairy operation over the hill from me, they milk around 1000 and so once or twice since I've lived here, which is since 1999 I have had some rats around, but not since they have no food to go after after fixing the toolshed with metal flashing around the bottom inside and replacing chewed boards.

But they also could be doing a better job of rat control over the hill as well.

Using Hava Heart squirrel size traps works but as you might already know it's messy and also not fun removing said creatures. And what are you going to do anyway, put the trap in the car and drive somewhere to release them? I didn't and wouldn't. I let the neighbor kid up the road deal with it. LOL

I'm careful of what gets used around here b'c of my cat kids and concern about them. This is the third year that I have summer seasonal service with Orkin, which is mainly for ant and wasp control but also I do have mice that get in the basement and wend their way up here. If my two cats are in the mood they will stalk and torture, but that isnt always a given. LOL

And Orkin is very good about discussing what they use with you before using it so they do mouse control here as well. I've been pleased.

Carolyn

• adrianag
    18 years ago

Don't waste your money, I already did that for you...I've tried two different brands. With the first ones I ttried a couple of years ago, I actually had evidence of the mice feeding RIGHT NEXT to them.

This year I fell for ones with a brand name of one of the big mouse/rat poison bait makers (sorry the name escapes me, I bought it at Lowes or HD), thinking "hey, if THEY are selling them these must surely work...." NOT!!!!!

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Adriana. I'm glad then I didn't get around to buying one of these from Tractor Supply. You do have the sense that if HD or Lowe's or TSC carries these, then they work. If it's a Ginsu knife advertised on TV (But WAIT! Act now and get a 2nd crummy set for the cost of shipping!) you know it won't be good but these stores should be above snake oil. Maybe we should complain more---something I find completely exhausting.

I've fallen into the Mid-August-It's-Out-Of-Control-Anyway Syndrome.

Barb

• Camelotshadow
    18 years ago

I looked into them
    heard they may work for short while but the rodent soon gets used to the sound and can block it out like we do to a everpresent continual sound after a while we just don't notice it

Looking into repellant
    but think its going to be the same thing
    after all you can fool a rat only for so long
    til he figures out theres no bobcat in them there tomoato patch