Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late Blight? - please help diagnose (photo attached)

Posted by heavymeta Southern CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 16:33

Would love help trying to figure out what is happening with my tomatoes (early girl bush - seedling purchased at locally-owned nursery) - EVERY tomato is developing these weird black spots on their bottom side as they ripen - and are black inside... Is this the dreaded "'late blight" that has been in the news? It also resembles the "blossom end rot" pictures I have seen a bit too, though the spots are not sunken, as that is described... Thoughts???

Image link: Late Blight? - please help diagnose (photo attached) (47 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late Blight? - please help diagnose (photo attached)

i don't have an answer but i have a similar problem. My big tomatoes [dont remember variety] have this they are grown in buckets with a mix of potting soil and garden soil with added continuous release fertilizer. Big gorgeous plants with ugly tomatoes. What is it???

o

It's the beginning stages of Blossom End Rot. The spot doesn't become sunken until later, when the fruit begins to ripen. Then the affected area not only becomes sunken, it also turns dry and leathery.

If it were Late Blight you'd also have black spots on the leaves and stems of the plant by the time you got fruits that looked like that.

One of my plants a few years ago also had almost every fruit affected by BER. None of the plants surrounding it had any BER at all. Weird.

o

That is not BER. Not sure what it is though. Maybe the results of sunscald.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 1:20

Ummm. Yes it is BER. Just hasn't turned black as yet.

o

if you say so jean.

o

I also have blight/BEM - but only on 1 of 4 plants that are next to each other and close together. Any way to save any of the tomatoes on the problem plant? Can it spread to other plants? Should I just cut down the blighted plant? Had a similar problem last year with 1 of 6 tomatoes, checked soil at end of last growing season and beginning of this one and no measurable deficits. Fortunately, my sweet 100's and early girls are out producing anything I've grown in the past! Any ideas for solving the solitary blighted plant problem much appreciated.

o

This is most likely BER, besides - if it were indeed late blight, then it would be on the top of the tomato, not the bottom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here