Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericinboston

URGENT advice needed - early blight, Daconil

eric02138
17 years ago

I just found some leaves on a couple of plants with classic early blight -- I am certain of the ID. Yesterday I sprayed copper and there is still powdery copper residue on the leaves. I need to know ASAP if applying Daconil NOW will be OK for the plants, i.e., will it stress them too much since the copper is so freshly applied?

I have decided to use Daconil now - I wish I had earlier, of course. I am aware (thanks to the wonderful Carolyn and other good folks here) that Daconil isn't going to cure the blight, but I am hopeful that it will slow it down and protect plants not yet infected. Fortunately, I have spaced them 3' x 3' and kept the vines trained high.

So in short, should I proceed today with Daconil post-haste? Do I need to wait? Should I first wash off the copper with a gentle water spray?

If it help, the copper was a Bonide dust mixed with water per the label instructions and applied with a pressurized hand sprayer; I used the low end of the concentration range on the label. The leaves are just fine, no burn from the copper. They just have some blotches from the copper as it was hard to apply evenly.

Finally, if anyone jumps in the thread and, instead of answering my question, advises me not to use "poisons" such as Daconil, it's perfectly fine with me if such posts are just ignored by others.

Thanks all, you are just a wonderful bunch.

Eric

Massachusetts

Comments (4)