Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westchestergrower

Ortho Dial and Spray...

WestchesterGrower
18 years ago

If I wanted to apply Daconil to my tomatoes, would this "over drench" them with the application or be too much? I have been using a hand held pump spray, but it really does take a toll on time.

I would love to use the hose/ dial and spray method, but don't know if it would be overkill.

Thanks....If its not overkill, what setting should I put it on? And how long do you have to wait to eat tomatoes after application?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• nctom
    18 years ago

I use the ortho dial and spray. I ran out of the stuff I was using for disease control and got the Ortho Garden Disease Control (Chlorothalonil ). For tomatoes it list same day harvest.

• whizzer75
    18 years ago

The istructions on Ortho Garden Disease Control (Daconil) give directions for use in the dial and spray. Set dial at 4 Oz. Add 1 TBS Daconil and 7 TBS water for each gallon you want. I am using the dial and spray and don't see as much residue as when I was using a pump spray.

• WestchesterGrower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys...

I lost that little instruction guide that comes with the bottle, so that is great to know.

Good to see that I won't hurt them spraying with that kind of force, etc. When I do it with the other stuff I try to make sure there are no tiny pools of the cloudy color mix on the leaves which is hard to do.

Appreciate the help!

• mannyl36
    18 years ago

I'm glad I read this post. The directions on the Ortho GDC container seemed to read one way, while the instructions on the Dial 'N Spray hose-end sprayer read another. I had been under the impression that the product could be used undiluted in the sprayer (with the dial set to 1 tbs.), as the sprayer instructions seem to indicate. I just got off the phone with Ortho, and they explained that the product is too thick to go through the sprayer undiluted. Whizzers instructions are spot on, though the help desk person suggested a slightly different ratio (2.25 teaspoons of OGDC + 7.25 tablespoons of water; still set the dial to 4 oz.).

-Manny

• adenn1
    18 years ago

Boy...have I been messing up. I have been putting the Ortho Garden Disease Control in the sprayer undiluted and have been using it at 4oz....guess I have been putting it on way to strong...

Going home to read those instructions again...

• bev25
    18 years ago

Alright. I just messed up big time and would like some help. The orthro dial and spray on one side say TBSP and the other says 50 GAL near the top.
    OK so 1 tbsp per gallon according to the lousy directions and I poured almost the whole container in straight and ran out. It came to a little less than the 25 tbsp mark. I put it in straight- undiluted.
    I just finished spraying my pumpkins and my tomatoes with the stuff and wonder if I should go BACK out there and douse everything with the hose.
    My tomatoes are doing wonderful so far and I'll just cry if I just killed them!
    Help??? Anybody???

• nctom
    18 years ago

You may want to call ORTHO as did the other poster. I am really not following you. The instructions that I have say add 1tbsp of product and then add 7tbsp of water to dial a spray container. So if you add 2tbsp of product add 14 tbsp of water and so on.... I looked and don't see anywhere the 50 gal thing.

I'd hate for your hair to fallout because of what I might think is ok. So I really think calling Ortho is the right approach.

Good luck.

• suze9
    18 years ago

The orthro dial and spray on one side say TBSP and the other says 50 GAL near the top.

Those aren't markings for an Ortho Dial and Spray. Maybe you have another brand of hose end sprayer? If so, do yourself a favor and get the Othro one, or better yet, get a pump sprayer.

Markings on one side are in ml (100 ml to 1000 ml), and on the other side are in oz (4 oz to 32 oz).

If you're in doubt as to whether you applied way too much, rinse your plants off asap. Better to rinse off and try again than possibly damage your plants.

I poured almost the whole container in straight and ran out

Sounds like way too much.

Also, unless you've got a lot of plants, would recommend you use a good pump sprayer (not a little one handed one, a 2.5 gallon one)instead. Backpack sprayers are also nice.

• dvdgzmn
    18 years ago

Re using a pump sprayer, that's what I did at first. Something in the Daconil caused it to seize up after a couple of uses. Maybe it was just a cheap unit, but I went out and got a dial n spray. 10-year warranty--sounds like a challenge. I'm saving the sales receipt.

• Tom_Ato
    18 years ago

If you want to spray one plant and not another, just mix some up in a spray bottle.

For a large area, the dial and spray is easiest, but the other sprayers are useful too.

• treefrog_fl
    18 years ago

My understanding of the Ortho Dial and Spray is this:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The setting on the dial, eg 8 oz, means that you're sucking 8 oz of the liquid per gallon of water sprayed. If you have the container full, 32 oz, that means you'll be spraying 4 gallons of solution. At 1 TB per gallon (recommended rate for Daconil), you'll add 4 TB to the container and fill with water to the 32 oz mark, set dial on 8 oz. Correct?
    To double the amount of spray, at the same concentration, use 8 TB, fill, and set dial to 4 oz/gal.

• suze9
    18 years ago

At 1 TB per gallon (recommended rate for Daconil), you'll add 4 TB to the container and fill with water to the 32 oz mark, set dial on 8 oz. Correct?

I wouldn't recommend this because the directions are very specific that the dial -always- be set to 4 oz.

To double the amount of spray, at the same concentration, use 8 TB, fill, and set dial to 4 oz/gal.

Container holds 32 oz (equiv to 64 TBSP; (2TBSP=1oz)) .I wouldn't fill it up past the markings, either.

In your scenario, container would have:
    --8 TBSP daconil
    --and 56 TBSP of water (64 minus the daconil already added)

Yep, that would work as it conforms to the 1 to 7 ratio Ortho laid out in the instructions.
    (1x8=8)
    (7x8=56)

8 TBSP will do a lot of plants, though. Just remember you can't add it back to the bottle once diluted, and that it's not recommended to store mixed up solution longer than a few hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortho garden disease control instuctions - pdf file

• suze9
    18 years ago

-Always set top dial to 4 oz
    -Add water in ounces first (marked on dial and spray), then add daconil using a tablespoon measure

water listed, then daconil:

3.5 OZ + 1 TBSP
    7.0 OZ + 2 TBSP
    10.5 OZ + 3 TBSP
    14.0 OZ + 4 TBSP
    17.5 OZ + 5 TBSP
    21.0 OZ + 6 TBSP
    24.5 OZ + 7 TBSP
    28.0 OZ + 8 TBSP

same as above, except Daconil is in oz. Add water first, then carefully pour in daconil to reach total
    (water + daconil = total)

7.0 OZ + 1.0 OZ - 8 OZ
    10.5 OZ + 1.5 OZ - 12 OZ
    14.0 OZ + 2.0 OZ - 16 OZ
    17.5 OZ + 2.5 OZ - 20 OZ
    21.0 OZ + 3.0 OZ - 24 OZ
    24.5 OZ + 3.5 OZ - 28 OZ
    28.0 OZ + 4.0 OZ - 32 OZ

• 1janetta0
    17 years ago

I have a bottle of 'Garden Ease' Daconil, the directions say, "ready to use" and there are no mixing instructions. So my question is this: is it supposed to be thick and practically unsprayable? This stuff is coming out so thick I will go through the entire bottle on two plants. Is Daconil supposed to be so thick?
    Thanks
    Janet

• torquill
    17 years ago

Janet, I couldn't help but notice your location -- is there a reason you have to use Daconil?

I'm only asking because my knowledge of antifungal measures is blessedly theoretical, given the dry climate out here; very few fungal diseases are problematic in dry-summer areas.

--Alison

• hypnotikz99_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

This is good information. I was frustrated for a while.

Angel
    http://www.FearlessIncome.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Fearless Income Network