Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted growth/ Colored Leaves, What's missing?

Posted by WestchesterGrower Lower NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 17:17

I noticed the onset of these leaves a month back, but thought nothing of it. Well, I actually posted the problem, but got no responses. And while it took me a while to realize it, my plants have really been slow in growing. Definitely stunted growth. And I have never had that problem before. In fact, its usually the opposite. I get bushy plants, but no tomatoes until mid Augest. This year we are getting tomatoes, but the plants have stopped growing at 3-4 ft (better boys). They don't seem as strong as usual either.

I gave them 5-10-10 2 weeks after I put them in the ground and when I started getting a lot of smaller tomatoes (month and half back). And when I saw the dis-coloration of leaves I gave them Ironcide and Peters fertilizer hoping it would make them grow a bit and fix the deficiency. But nothing has helped on either front.
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/7251/tomatoepics0033go.jpg

Please, what is wrong? It is driving me nuts.

Thanks so much for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted growth/ Colored Leaves, What's missing?

Ironcide? You mean Ironite, I think.

does the yellowing go all the way up the plant in a random fashion, or is it primarily concentrated at the bottom?

o

While a lot of that particular type of yellowing is at the bottom, even the top leaves are discolored to a degree at this point. I will take a pic of them today to show.

I figured if it was a mineral/ nutriant deficiency, the Ironide or Peters would have helped.

o

I don't know it's related to the yellowing, but I see some spider mite damage. Is it hot and dry?

o

It was fairly dry and hot for a few weeks. Thanks for info on the mites.

Still no takers on the leaves? I figued it would be fairly easy to see.

o

Looks like classic yellow blotchy Powdery Mildew to me.

I didn't know where to post since you also posted this in the main forum, as I recall, and I'm trying hard not to answer disease questions there. Sigh,

Your Daconil should help a lot.

Do check out the pictures of Powdery Mildew to convince yourself.

There are two fungi that cause PM on tomatoes and the one you want to look at is the Leveillula one, not the Oidium one which has white fuzz on the leaves,

Carolyn

o

Wow Carolyn...I only thought there was the one type of PM- That you often see on Zinnias..lol. You learn something new everyday! Thanks

I took a look on google and it does look similar-
http://www.apsnet.org/online/Archive/2000/tom23a.JPG
If anything, the pics on google make the disease seem more concentrated on the leaves, but I am sure it is what I have.

Sorry about posting the previous one in the other forum.

Yeah, I have been spraying the daconil every 5-7 days, but have seen little to no improvement. Hopefully it turns around soon. (Also a related question- Will Daconil residue on leaves hurt them at all)?

Will the powdery mildew on the tomatoes result in stunted growth like I have seen or is that something else? Also, will PM take out the whole plants?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here