Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First I thought early blight, now...

Posted by westchestergrower Lower NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 17:19

I am thinking perhaps this is the work of insects? I've noticed an abundance of white mites on some of the branches and leaves but never had this kind of damage and never thought they could cause this. Overall, as the pic shows, it first looks like rain damage and burning of spots on the leaves. But then it progresses to yellow, holes, etc. And eventually the whole branch dies and withers up. This is taking place on the lower plant, but slowly working upwards.

These are hybrid plants, btw. Every year we get a touch of blight late in the season, usually not this early. I just cleaned the plants up as much as possible and am going to spray with daconil in a few just in case it is a disease.

My peppers look a little sick as well (leaves yellowing and dropping at the lower levels, moving up), which is rare for my area.

Thank you for your thoughts!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5614/gardenpest.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Pest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First I thought early blight, now...

I think you're dead on...Thanks, Agrant.

Have to say, I've never had this issue before. Is it as serious as a blight? Glad I sprayed.

Anything I should keep in mind or should I just try to clearn the plants and spray every 10 days or so?

In the early season we had some really heavy rains that pushed dirt up onto the leaves, so that may have caused it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here