Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofiend

Herbicide Damage (2, 4-D

tomatofiend
11 years ago

Hey all,

I've come across is what appears to be herbicide damage on our tomato plants. The new growth leaves are very curly and cupped. From my research online it appears that it is due to herbicide exposure, specifically to 2, 4-D. I'm not sure who the culprit is. I'd be surprised if it's from herbicide drift since we're in a city and not surrounded by many lawns that could've been treated... So I think it's either from some horse manure compost I used, the straw mulch, or the soil we used. I'm not sure of the soil details since the community garden I work at ordered it before I arrived but I know that it is partially composed of composted materials, so maybe some lawn clippings or something contaminated the batch.

Also, I used the manure on some tomatoes at home and they don't have any of the same symptoms; but those tomatoes are being grown from miracle gro potting soil and these are grown from a supposedly organic mix. Anyway, here's my question: Have you ever had herbicide damage on your tomatoes/other plants, and if you did, how did you treat it? The plants are still growing, just looking real gnarly. Will they still produce fruit? (There are some blossoms on each plant)

I'm thinking that I'll take off the straw I used for mulch in case it is the cause of the problem.

Should I cut off the gnarled new leaves (which is about 2/3 of each plant now)? FYI each plant is about 3-4 ft. tall... Any insight is appreciated. I'll try and post pics soon

Comments (7)