Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that Critter

Posted by kurfsec 8a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 17:37

Something has been coming in and eating the bottom, young tomatoes during the night. This picture shows them along the back edge of my raised bed. I'm guessing either rabbits or rats (yuck, please no rats!) and have all but ruled out anything like fox, deer, etc. I live in a semi-urban area with a fenced in yard, which is backed up to a 45 mph main road. I do believe I have rabbits living under the shed, but I've also seen rats running on the fence (again, YUCK.) I also have green beens, bell peppers, and eggplant in the bed and none of that has been touched.. only the tomatoes. Hopefully someone can point me to the right critter so I can take action! We did bury and put chicken wire about 3ft up today just in case it does happen to be rabbits.

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that Critter

Perhaps rats or squirrels?

o
RE: Name that Critter

I'm leaning more towards rats.. it seems to happen at night and I know squirrels are not active then. Unless it is happening very very early, as I'm out there around 6/7am and the damage has been done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here