Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown black pest ID please

Posted by treehouse415 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 17:37

I have a cherry tomato plant growing in my atrium and it looks really healthy with great fruit production but I have these little small insects that I can't seem to find anything online about.

What are they called, and even though, my plant is healthy now - will leaving these insect to roam and populate on my plant by hazardous to the health of my tomatoes?

There are quite a few of them on the stems and leaves.

ID please?

Photobucket

Don't mind the aphid lol

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown black pest ID please

Looks like thrips. The don't harm the plant by themselves, though they can vector viruses if there's a weed or other plant nearby that has the virus. They're best known for carrying tomato spotted wilt virus.

I wouldn't worry too much about viruses if the plant is indoors, but if the population gets too large you might consider some sort of control. Neem oil is smelly but does the job; most standard insecticides don't affect thrips much, so read labels if you do go looking for chemical controls. Lacewings are a good predator.

--Alison

o
RE: Brown black pest ID please

Hey Allison

Thanks for the reply. I just looked up thrips and they are definitely not thrips. I was hoping that they were but my ID-ing continues.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here