Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these beetles and how do I get rid of them?

Posted by ajsmama 5-6 (NW CT) (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 17:46

I saw this forum and figured this was the best place to ask, though they don't seem to be damaging my tomatoes too much (just cosmetics). But I think this may be why my in-ground peppers aren't doing well? The hot peppers in pots on the porch are much bigger, darker green, and are starting to form flowers.

My great-uncle says these are Asiatic Beetles, DH calls them June bugs (says they're in the lawn too), but a Google search yielded much different-looking bugs with those names. These are about the size of a Japanese beetle (have those too, destroyed my roses and now they're moving to the tomatoes), they fly pretty well though low, and buzz like a bee while flying. Just too many to pick off and squish, and they're out all day long.

Help!

Sorry - my camera does not take good closeups

On the peppers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Leaf damage on tomatoes

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these beetles and how do I get rid of them?

Your camera takes fine pictures. The problem is you're holding it too close to the subject.

Please try again with the critters on your hand.

o

Can you tell what they are from the middle photo? There are 2 on the pepper leaf to the left, at the base of the triangle formed by the pepper blossoms.

I'll try to take better pictures after it dries out a bit - thunderstorm last night. Thanks

o

I suspect they are flea beetles, but you may want to verify. There seems to be a bumper crop of flea beetles in many places this year. They are usually dark colored but appear to have a metallic sheen.

Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea Beetle Info

o

Those pinholes do look like flea beetle damage but I haven't found any flea beetles. These beetles are much larger (about the size of a Japanese beetle) and fly, don't jump. I suspect they are causing the large holes in the peppers.

They seemed to disappear after the rain, but they're back today. Hope these are better pix:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Damage

Photobucket

They seem to like to burrow in the bark mulch - I wonder if they came in with it, or maybe the grubs were in our soil anyway? I'm wondering if mulching with newspaper covered with grass clippings would be better? Though we have used bark mulch for years with no problem?

o

Ag Test station sent me a brochure listing common pests, looks like these are Oriental beetles. Haven't heard back from them on how to get rid of them - any suggestions? I did find OMRI listed Ortho Elementals insecticidal soap but label doesn't list adult beetles. Even if it works, it will only kill the ones I soak, won't keep them away from my plants. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here